1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slappin' your Nordy

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gregbackstrom, Mar 4, 2008.

1. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I love my Nordy w/ big splits and Audere preamp, but I don't really like the slapped B string sound. It's kinda wooden sounding!

Have any Nordy users out there found strings that have a satisfying slapped B sound? So far, I've tried DR Hi-Beams, La Bella Super-Steps and Ken Smith Rock Masters.

Thanks!
    Greg

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    It may be the scale - I can slap the heck out of the B on my 37" Dingwall B, but on my Lakland it doesn't ring the same way.

3. gregbackstrom

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I guess that could be part of it. On the other hand, the F Bass BN5 is also a 34.5" , and the B slaps beautifully! I can't imagine that any bass's B would slap as well as a Dingwall's, though!

4. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Hi Greg,
    I might recommend Roger's new Blue Label strings. I've tried a few sets now and they have a great B. We may be changing our stock string offering...

5. gregbackstrom

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    Hi Carey,

Thanks for the recommendation -- I'll have to give them a try! Out of curiousity, what are the Nordy's current stock strings?

- Greg

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Carey typically uses DR Sunbeams as Stock strings. Although I've heard he is now also offering Sadowsky Blue SS strings. He was really impressed by them. I just ordered two sets for my Nordy.

Also, I've found that my B string goes dead faster than my other strings. When it does, it sounds less brilliant and more wooden. Perhaps your B string went dead?

7. gregbackstrom

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    +1 on B's generally going dead first! I've noticed that on most of my basses. I don't think that's the cause of this issue though. And it's possible that I didn't keep the Sunbeams on long enough to test the slapped B. (I really didn't like them much, so I changed strings shortly after buying the bass.)

I'm anxious to try Blue Label steels, but it occurs to me that I should also try MTD's. I like them a lot on my Lulls, but I haven't tried them yet on the Nordy.