Slappinest jazz bass config?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Feb 20, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    while i really love the L2000, i don't think it'll fit the niche i want my next bass to fill. i want a bass that gets that really bright, growly tone, kinda 'vic-wooten-esque' but maybe a little darker. NOT that all-bottom-and-top slap tone...if i'm making sense :confused:

my idea:

moses graphite neck
    mahogany jazz body w/ maple top
    EMG pickups (JJ or PJ???)
    J-retro preamp

2. OK, I am trying to "help" a moderator here, so Brad Johnson's profile quote applies to the ninetieth power here...

IME, you want slap, get a Swamp Ash body. Not to say you cannot get great slap tone without it, but I personally like the slap tone with an ash body.
    However, by using EMG's, this totally alters the equation. Since the tone of EMG's in my opinion are not too dependent on the body wood, etc (being active), whether you use mahogany, ash, alder, or rotted human carcasses as your body wood shouldn't make a tremendous difference in the tone. I especially notice this in the EMG-81 pickups in my guitar. They sound virtually identical in a mahogany-bodied guitar as my alder-bodied one. May not be true in all cases, but is certainly true in all the EMG-equipped instruments I've played...

I love your choice of preamp, and I would use a J/J configuration personally, although I have heard a few people recently who really like the J/P config for slap. The good advantage of the J-Retro is that you can compensate for the EMG's MASSIVE lack in mids a little, if you want the tone slightly darker. Ask around for more opinions.

Again, Jason, I don't have nearly the bass expertise and experience you have. What I am trying to do is to provoke some thought on your part.

Good luck.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    moderator status does not imply that i have any better idea about body woods than anyone else ;) i haven't considered a non-warwick bass for purchase

i think i should have mentioned that i'll run the EMGs at 18v, which in my experience makes it much more 'full range' sounding vs. standard 9v EMG's.
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Other than the graphite neck, you're pretty close to Vic's Fodera, so you're probably on the right track. JJs will sound a bit darker than the PJ setup he has (they won't have less highs, but the midrange changes in a way that I'd call darker, with more growl). The graphite neck will change everything though. The combination w/ the EMGs might be overkill? I'm no expert by any means though.
  5. If the sound is more "full-range", wouldn't it then be even more of a "scoop" in the mids?

For example: The Dimarzio Split P has more full range than the model P, but i like the model P's tight, midrange-cutting but focused sound.

Now I am ASKING a question:

I have only played one graphite-necked bass ever (Flea bass 4), and that isn't enough for me to comment about any general properties of graphite-necked basses. But I get the impression that maybe adding both EMG's (which to some have a "sterile" and/or artificial tone that can be colored to sound great, but can sound almost "fake" by itself) AND a graphite neck (which seems to have similar tone-altering properties) can be, as geshel said, over the top.

I cite for an example, a Modulus Q5 with EMG's and the graphite neck. I have read MANY A POST about how users are complaining about the "sterility" of their tone, and how they want to switch to the warmth and natural midrange of the Bartolini soapbars.

Just more to consider on jasonbraatz's ongoing quest to compete with Nino Brown on level of G.A.S (jason, YOU'RE WAAAAAAAAY BEHIND :D )
  6. A lot of folks like the JJ config and it records well especially on my Sadowsky jazz with swamp ash body and maple 'board.

However, the PJ gets a real funk slap tone and I ordered a PJ4 with an alder body and rosewood board from Sadowsky. I played a PJ5 with same woods at his shop and it just slayed me! (swoon). Similar to a Fodera Whooten Monarch PJ but poppier or punchier.
  7. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    that would be a Fodera or a Sadowsky.....a lot of people think they can't afford those basses but alot of people would do better buying ONE of those great basses used instead of owning 4 or 5 (or 6 or 7!) instruments!!

just my humble opinion