Slappinest strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lackey, May 10, 2002.

1. D'addario XL's

1 vote(s)
  2. D'addario Slowounds

0 vote(s)
  3. Dean Markley Blue Steel

1 vote(s)
  4. DR Hi-Beams

19 vote(s)
  5. DR Sunbeams

4 vote(s)
  6. Ernie Ball Slinkys

8 vote(s)
  7. GHS Boomers

2 vote(s)
  8. Ken Smith Slap Masters

3 vote(s)
  9. La Bella "Slappers"

0 vote(s)
  10. Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Electric

1 vote(s)
  1. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm looking to save myself the hassle of finding the brightest,, longest lasting roundwounds by finding out what your favorite strings for slap are.

For some reason,, I've been stuck in the pattern of buying either D'Addarios or Ernie Balls for slap,, time for me to branch out i guess!
  2. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Dude, where are the Prisms? D'addario prisms are really good for slap. Very bright. The only thing is there a bit more rigid.
  3. Richard Cocco strings ofcourse..

but since you did not put them on your list ( [​IMG] )
    i voted for DR sunbeams, because those are the only strings that come even REMOTELY from the cocco's in terms of sound.
  4. I'm quite partial to Dean Markley SR2000s myself (thx to JT for suggesting these).
  5. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sorry guys,, obviously I know next to nothing about high end slap strings!! Now if I could only edit the poll to add those!!
  6. I wouldn't say that you know next to nothing just from the choices you put up. The tastes here on TB are as varied as the diverse members they come from. I'm sure there are quite a few people that like the strings you mentioned. To be quite honest, I've never tried most of those strings out as I think I just (today in fact) found the two perfect string sets for myself.

Markley SR2000s on the Zon fretless and Labella Deep Talkin' flats on the Stingray 5... yummy
  7. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Im converted to Warwick Red Label Stainless . Super Bright and responsive at 2/3 the price of any others ,......check `em out [ im using 40/60/80/100 ] , yes 4 string !!! how ancient .
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Me too. I play a GT-7, that's how I found out about them.
  9. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    i voted for dr highbeams... but i've also grown quite fond of elixir supersofts. They last forever too.
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i like stainless DR Loriders for slap, but hibeams are nice as well.
  11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    From the choices you posted, I voted for Hi-Beams as my suggestion to you. looks like they're the front runner as of today.

In reality, I use MTD stainless steels on my MTD 535; DRs or GHS stainless steels on my F Bass BN5; and Ernie Ball stainless steels on the Jazz.
  12. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I just put in Ken Smith 5 string Taper Cores in the other week and I think they're great. Awesome feel for the slappin' and awesome modern fingerstyle sound. Maybe not for the wholesome classic 70s bass sound, but for modern jazz, rock, metal, etc., they rule.
  13. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Try the new line called "PRISIM" they are supposed to be the new slap Strings on the market.
  14. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    i must say those WARWICK RED LABEL STRING are cheap but they are really not that cool for slap.. i use them too, it`s ok for practicing, but for gigs i always preffer a little more expensive strings...

p.s. dario`s are fine...
  15. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I wanted to try out the prisim strings. How are they? Do they come tapered? Long scale?
    any info would by cool
  16. I use Dr Hi-Beams on both my F-Basses; I also am happy with some DR Marcus Miller's that I put on my Jazz V. Very bright pops, with solid thumb slap lows.
  17. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    TI Powerbass
  18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You forgot my two favorite strings, the Swing 66's and the D'addario (sp?) Prisms. :)
  19. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Did you know that Cocco strings are made in Italy? At 20 km from my home, to be truthful. I know it for sure 'cause my carrier is the same that Riccardo uses to ship his strings worldwide. He works with a pair of other guys.