Slapping a 5 string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 11, 2002.

1. Could you guys give me some pointers on keeping the B string quite when slapping on the E or A string? I'm getting a lot of noise out of that thing.

Also, what is double thumbing?
  2. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    1. practice more at slapping on your 5'er

2. search!

good luck! :D :D :D

3. Double thumbing has been covered countless times,

Although i can enlighten you on the art of noiseless B string slap techniques. :)

It really is all a matter of practice, if you can slap competantly on a 4 then your more than likely just having trouble with the B?

Because of it's size any small amounts of vibration and undirected pressure are brought into the audioable mix and they are they are the most annoying drone like sounds you can ever hear, but i think you've probably found this out.

Don't worry about what you fretting hand is doing for now, concentrate on how you strike the strings with you thumb. Once you can accurately hit Every string on you bass cleanly, with your thumb you can then worry about your fretting hand.

This may sound trivial but there are many sloppy players out there who think they have it all down, but it's important to always practice the basics, regardless of you proficiency.

Regarding your fretting hand, start with basic patterns i.e slapping octaves, slap, mute, slap, pop, slap @ A on E, work this same pattern along and across the all strings including the B.

Also practing slapping the D and the G and also pop the A,E, and B.

Once you know a strings proximity to it's neighbour, you won't hit it by accident.

4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Don't just wildly slap away on your bass. You have to take it a piece at a time. Be gentle with it.... Slapping is not an abusive technique
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you own a 6-string and you want to become a better slapper in terms of accuracy, I highly recommend practicing your slap on a 6. I practice on it and I have found that it really improves my slapping when I switch back to my 5 or 4.

Sounds goofy, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty cool.
  6. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I play a six string but the techniques I use would work on a five too. Learning to slap each individual string as tyburn suggested is the most important thing you could do. Also, when the line permits it, I use my left hand to mute all of the strings that I'm not slapping. Just work on getting a very clean sound and work on being able to hear the seperation of the notes.