Slapping a 6'er

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sorin Cristea, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Sorin Cristea

Sorin Cristea

Jan 15, 2002
    Though I'm aware that it's a matter of personal taste ,I'd like to hear some oppinions on:
    1.Soft or hard strings?
    2.Higher or lower action?
    I repeat,it's just a curiousity,because,what the heck,we're humans (or almost...),and I'm sick'n'tired of all those violent bass players whose playing sounds a little better than a bad Diesel engine...
  2. wrong forum... but i see how you could mix it up...

W/ slapping, EVERYONE has their own technique. Some prefer high action, some prefer low, some prefer heavey gauge strings, others lighter.

Me, i prefer low action, and a 45-130 pack of strings, although I used to swear by Nickel strings, I'm leaning towards DR Lo-Riders SS.

If you dont sound like everyone else who's slapping, keep working on your technique, I garentee you that its 80% most likely more, and the rest is what the gear you're using. Just keep hacking at it, and adventually it'll come to you.
  3. Sorin Cristea

Sorin Cristea

Jan 15, 2002
    Hey,"Mattlock",take it easy!
    I didn't mess anything,the forum looks OK,that's why I joined!
    Of course that "EVERYBODY" has personal preferences,and I was only curious about what other (civilised)people think about the subject.
    As for the way I play,you shouldn't be so harsh,because,really,we never met on stage or somewhere else.Sorry if I disturbed with my question!
  4. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I don't know if it's just me, but Muttluck's post didn't seem in the least bit rude or insulting.
  5. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Hey whoa. It doesn't show how many posts we have anymore.

Anyways... to be on topic.

I play a 6-er, and I don't slap it very often, but when I do... I have to use a very disciplined technique, both hands. You have to have good control on your right hand so you're not hitting more than one string, and the same goes for you left hand, you need to make sure you're muting the right strings, and ALL the right strings. Keep the B string muted! It vibrates a lot if you're not muting and playing a different string.

But good luck, and practice.
  6. Often

Often Guest

Oct 4, 2001
    Stockholm Sweden
    I think he means that this thread would suit better in another section on TB. And he's not flaming you. Were all friendly here.
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, what Muttluk was getting at (I believe) is that you posted this thread in the wrong forum. And he is correct.

You asked a question based more on technique used in slapping rather than about basses. No biggie. I am moving this to the "technique" forum now.;)
  8. Um... I didnt realize that was considered offensive...

I noted that you posted it in the wrong forum, and that I could understand how you could mix it up. (I've been here 2 years, and I still dont know where everything goes :eek: )

I then noted that everyone has their personal choice for everything, and that its subjective, so how you may like it may be horrible for somone else.

Then I answered your questions, how I liked my action, and what type of stirng gauges I use.

Then you stated that you wanted to get the sound that you've been hearing, and I gave you a tip that helped me, how to improve your slap tone.

If there is anything that I said that was offensive (which i guess there was since your retort was how it was,) please feel free to PM me, and we'll discuss it there.
  9. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I personally prefer medium action and medium light nickel strings. I find that steels, in general, are a little raspy for slap.

As mentioned above, I have also found that slapping on a 6 takes waaaay more accuracy than a 4 or 5, since the strings are closer together.
  10. Sorin Cristea

Sorin Cristea

Jan 15, 2002
    As the title says,it's obviously my fault that I didn't get the big picture of this site.
    I want to appologise to Muttluk,E.O.M. and Often for my over-reacted attitude,and also to thank to the moderator for his pacience!
    Once again,excuse me if I offended someone!
  11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    We still didn't address the REAL issue here....

Hard/soft strings?! :confused: