Slapping a Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timbo, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    How much damage would I put on my fretboard ( ebony ) if I slapped it occasionally with round wound strings?
  2. Not too much immidiate damage but after a while u'll see some damage there. But dont worry, i have a fretless and occasionally slap it and its not to bad.

Les Claypool anyone? :D
  3. Don't worry too much about the damage - just play it!

Besides... you'll probably tend to slap the lowest strings the most, and the damage from those will be concentrated higher up the fretboard, where you'll be less likely to play those strings.
  4. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    If I was slapping it and it got pretty beat up would It be able to get sanded down to good condition again?
  5. No problem, uses a Fretboard Radius-sanding Blocks, and don’t use sand paper under 400 grit

But I don’t think you will need it, ebony is very hard
  6. Generally with flats it wouldn't wear much at all. With rounds, you may see little marks where the strings hit, but not much actual wear. It would take quite some slapping to wear out ebony. My rosewood board had steels for a while and I slapped regularly. No damage, just a bit of wear (little marks left by the metal... nothing a polishing couldn't basically remove).
  7. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I wouldn't worry about it- you may incure a little more wear and tear, but first priority is sound. If you wear out the fretboard, you can get it re-planed or sanded down, and eventually replaced down the road. It's worth it for the sound you want IMO.
  8. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah for some reason I reallly like the way slapping sounds on my warwick corvette.
  9. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I have a nice groove in one spot on my fretless. Just before the B on the G string. I used to pop and strum a chord there often in my old band :( it's a nice size divot. oh well...

10. Save $2 a week and by the time you notice any damage you'll have enough money for a new bass / sanding or whatever.