1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slapping a P-bass or J-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveDrummer, Apr 10, 2003.

1. DaveDrummer

DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    Im a lost newbie. On the fender site, the jazz samples are slapped and the p-bass is clean. Is there a reason? Does slapping come easier with jazz basses? Also, any more sound samples of these two?

Dave

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    slapping's pretty much the same.. I personally believe it sounds better on a jazz but just slightly.. I slap all the time on my P-Bass (or try to... to me its slapping to others its just noise.. :p )

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    oh yea.. I believe the Fender sounds are pretty crappy.. even their "high quality" one best bet is to go to a music store near you and play em both

4. DaveDrummer

DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    yeah. Only pumping out about 90kbs and Mp3 is like 128. Ill go to a store and try em out. Also, what about amps? I mean when we record i'll go direct, but I only have a 30W practice amp now. That wont spoil the sound right?

Dave

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Going direct when you record is a good idea. In a larger studio, you might also be miked through an amp.

Nothing wrong with a 30W practice amp... it should sound fine at low to moderate volume. If you turn it up and hear distortion, well, that'll tell you to turn back down again. :) 30W probably won't compete well with a drumkit, but it's fine for practice at home.

6. DaveDrummer

DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    I got a litte 'studio' going here too, only problem is its in a bedroom, so bass is a nightmare as you can imagine. Everyone else sounds pretty sweet close miced though (including guitar amp)

Dave

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Freddy Washington slapped "Forget Me Nots" on a P.