Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping a P-bass or J-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveDrummer, Apr 10, 2003.

1. DaveDrummer

DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    Im a lost newbie. On the fender site, the jazz samples are slapped and the p-bass is clean. Is there a reason? Does slapping come easier with jazz basses? Also, any more sound samples of these two?

Dave

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    slapping's pretty much the same.. I personally believe it sounds better on a jazz but just slightly.. I slap all the time on my P-Bass (or try to... to me its slapping to others its just noise.. :p )

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    oh yea.. I believe the Fender sounds are pretty crappy.. even their "high quality" one best bet is to go to a music store near you and play em both

4. DaveDrummer

DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    yeah. Only pumping out about 90kbs and Mp3 is like 128. Ill go to a store and try em out. Also, what about amps? I mean when we record i'll go direct, but I only have a 30W practice amp now. That wont spoil the sound right?

Dave

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Going direct when you record is a good idea. In a larger studio, you might also be miked through an amp.

Nothing wrong with a 30W practice amp... it should sound fine at low to moderate volume. If you turn it up and hear distortion, well, that'll tell you to turn back down again. :) 30W probably won't compete well with a drumkit, but it's fine for practice at home.

6. DaveDrummer

DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    I got a litte 'studio' going here too, only problem is its in a bedroom, so bass is a nightmare as you can imagine. Everyone else sounds pretty sweet close miced though (including guitar amp)

Dave

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Freddy Washington slapped "Forget Me Nots" on a P.