Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping and poping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Who else can't slap and pop? :crying:

2. I couldnt at first but now I am getting there. I just started practicing with a book called Slap it by Tony Oppenheim. I practice about 30 minutes a day. I only put about 10 minutes a day practicing slap. I am a lefty playing a righty bass. I am finally getting a clean slap and pop from any of the four strings on the bass. You can do it..The important thing is to go real slow and work on technique.

3. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Haha, two major typos about the same subject on 1 page.

Slapping and pooping
    Slapping and poping

Imo, maybe the Pope likes a good slap from time to time, but I have doubts about the popping :D

5. A good song to practice slapping on if your a beginner is "Higher Ground" by the Chili Peppers. It's a good easy pattern, but it will help you get the feel for the style, a good starter. It was the first slap song I ever learned.

6. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i was slap poping in the style of Flea for a long time, gettin used to it and everything and became pretty good at it, but then i started to learn louis johnsons style and now i get mixed up with the two ways of slapping and its slowin me down, and now my slap pop is gettin abit rusty, but i've decided to stick with the louis johnson style unless am playing a chili song...dunno if thats a good idea or not

7. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY

originally by stevie wonder, of course.... yeah.. thats a good one to learn on too. Although the double slap can be tricky for beginners :ninja:

8. ^Yeah, I didn't even know it was a Stevie Wonder song at first. One day I was in a supermarket picking up some food for a BBQ and I heard the original playing. I was like "who the hell is that?". I found out later, with the help of the internet, that it was Stevie.
    At first the quick double slapping can be a little tricky, but if you get the hammer-ons right it's really not that hard. Like I said, it's a simple repeating pattern and a great intro to the basics of slapping.

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    My slap style is very basic...i use it for fun and while warming up. You need to ask yourself this...what style of music will i be doing...slap is great and sounds cool but unless you are doing funk there is little slap or pop in mainstream music rock etc when there is slap or pop it is a few notes not long wanking. Geddy Lee said in an interview he doesnt slap or pop and when he asked Jeff Berlin to show him Jeff said no...dont do it its ruining bassists everywhere...i agree 100%. If i had a dime for every guy who picks up a bass in a music store and the first thing he does is slapity popity slapity popity :scowl: I heard a guy sit down with a high end spector once and start playing some cool tasty bass lines that had me watching we talked and he agreed after playing for 25+ years slap and pop is all young players want to do but hand them a chord chart of a song and they go blank. My view is work on the basics and become a good player first add slap latter if you want ....solid playing will get you everywhere.

10. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    yeah, i was learning to slap for a while, but i eventually realized that, since i don't play any styles conducive to slapping, i was basically wasting all my practice time learning a neat party trick (i'm not saying slap n pop is a waste of time for everyone, just for me). i'd much rather spend that getting my scales better, learning to walk faster, getting a better harmonic understanding, and, if i feel like learning a flashy trick, working on my tapping.

11. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I hear ya there bro...practice time is well spent on styles you need for the music you play....not wasting it on cool sounding or flashy looking playing...i will work on good basic playing :bassist:

12. You should practice all techniques and try to develop your own style. Slap and Pop has its place, just like using your fingers or a pick. To be well rounded you need to be good all around. Try to devote some time in your practice to stuff you already know and stuff that you want to learn or become better at.

13. I'm suprised by some of the narrow-minded responses here. I've heard slap fit into plenty of different genres, doesn't have to be funk.

14. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Really? where.. what songs ? and is it more than a few notes. Slow ride by Foghat had a few pops...of course RHCP...Faith No Mores.. Epic. Where in nu -metal,Emo,alternative and reg Rock do you here poping and slapping today. Im not saying your wrong...just give me a few songs today that are on the airplay. I might get flamed here but slap and pop was a funk thing Larry Graham started it and he was a funk R/b player...others took it and went on to use it in other music but limited to mainly a few notes and solos. In my way of looking at bass playing the bass is a rhythm piece and in the background and bottom...the only reason slap and pop and crazy tapping is done is to get the bass player noticed and out of the background....AKA wanking or trying to be a lead guitar player...yea im old school and unless its funk or RB slap /pop is :spit: and im even a Primus fan :D but its a select few who can use it like them and get away with it.Without a firm grasp on solid playing all the slap and pop in the world wont get you a gig.

15. damola

damola

Sep 19, 2005
    hello mates, i have been playing bass for quite some time now about a year and i am averagely good. but i dont have knowledge of what to listen to to improve myself or how to gain access to such materials. i actually need some songs that i can use to learn good and quality slapping and popping skills so i can solo when i go for my concerts. what can i listen to and what web addresses can i get them from.

16. damola

damola

Sep 19, 2005
    because i am actually into funk music, funk jazz to be specific. i mean the kind of music abraham laboriel plays with ron kenoly.

17. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i think it's silly to try and master all bass techniques if you aren't going to use one. in a perfect world i'd have plenty of time to learn everything, but in a world where i'm trying to pay rent and train as a recording engineer, and have friends, and meet girls, and write songs, there is only so much time for practice. i can either spend it scattershot, or fairly focused on meeting my individualized playing goals. the latter option is where i feel i need to be.

18. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Narco...i agree practice what you need and use. Oh.....i forgot Feildy and Korn...alot of slappin and poping there :eyebrow: :meh: :spit:

19. I agree with everyone here. You need to figure out what style you are going to be playing most often and focus mainly on that. I would leave the slap stuff for those times when you're tired of working on scales and arpeggios and just want to do something fun for a little bit.

I also think that the slap style can be made to fit into many kinds of music, off the top of my head I've heard it in; rock, jazz, funk, r&b, gospel, country, and bluegrass. If you listen to someone like Vic Wooten, you can hear how he makes it work with nearly every style. The trick to this is he holds down the groove no matter what. His ability to play the bass part while working in his slap style is what makes him so impressive.

In a nutshell: Work on learning how to groove. Once you have that then start focusing on the "flashier" stuff that will make you stand out more. I've been playing bass for 9 years and am just now beginning to work on slapping it. You have to have a foundation to build this kind of stuff on.

20. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    When i asked Mikeyfingers to name pop or rock tunes with lots of slappin and poppin i ment to leave out solo basists like Wooten. They are a whole diffrent breed and a minority in bass playing. Mainstream bass songs do not have slap and pop in them and if they do (rare) its a few notes. I just think its stupid to put so much practice into a style of playing that in not used much in giging bands that play mainstream music. I play in a classic rock cover band and was warming up a practice ago with a lil slap pop ditty i wrote and you should of seen the guys faces... :eyebrow: Yep didnt fit here at all and doent fit much anywhere else i have been. I have recieved numerious calls from bands looking for me to play and never have i had one say ...can you slap and pop?