Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping and popping.... how do u?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass_ace101, Sep 21, 2005.

1. bass_ace101

bass_ace101

Sep 17, 2005
    i have been playing for about 8 months now and i was wondering how to slap and pop? if u could give me a brief and well writen explanation or a website that would be good :bassist:

2. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i dont think anything we tell you will really make that much of a differance, for slap pop i think, u cant read how todo it, u have to have someone show u the basics at least, or watch a video of someone doin it or an instructional video of how todo it, i recomend louis johnson istructional video volume 1, he show su 20 licks in good detail of how todo it slowly etc, and about 16 or 17 of the licks r all slap pop, also listen to songs with slap pop in them and once u get the hang of slapping and gettin a good enough sound from it, try and learn those songs

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I've been playing for about 12 years now and still haven't really gotten into playing slap-hand.

But now recently I've begun looking into it by watching Victor Wooten instructional videos.

Also, I recently was at a Marcus Miller clinic, and his slap-hand style is rather different from Victor Wooten's style.

My advice? Find your own style first.

4. ive been playin bass since feb 05 all day every day pretty much and own most of the videos. the best basic slap licks i got were from stu hamms slap pop tap it was just what i needed to make my slapin sound the way i wanted or expected. still all i could create was primus sounding stuff . not what i was after. so next came larry graham and louis johnson videos followed by victor wooten. tons of great info on them but for the life of me i just never sounded like them. when i played them they all sounded like the primus version, hell my primus didnt even sound like primus. the problem was playin with a real drummer, every time i brought in a slaped riff he just couldnt follow it, it had to be him not me ......well anyways my problem was my thumb it had no groove, you know thump thump pop thump hammer pop just like victor....not. sounded like a damn machine. so one day while watching a larry graham solo i noticed what was missing...my thumb to become a drummer. so it became just the thumb and the drum machine for about a month with position playin training for the left hand.{ one major problem was moving the slap style around just couldnt flow}. you know what its working great i can put my thumb behind the fifth fret and slap from the 3rd to my pinky on the 10th with out moving the thumb whick has become quite the drummer. and best of all i can slap without the drummer thinking im on the damn moon. to slap well to me ,you must be able to do drums fills with just thumb rudiments or whatever you wanna call them.