Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping and Popping speed!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Obsolex, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok, I was just wondering if you guys could help me out with some useful exercises that you might be using to improve your slapping and popping speed. I have ONE for slapping. But I wanted to know what you guys do to practice for these two things... _-soto-_:bassist: :bassist:

2. swanky

swanky

Oct 21, 2002
    massachusetts
    just flip out and go nuts and try it out dude, its the best way to learn. that and watching other people flip out and trying to pick up their technique.

3. ...s..........p.s.............s........p..s....p..
    g---------0-0h5-------------7------9-
    d-----------------7---0h5------7-----
    a-0h5h7----------------------------
    e-----------------------------------
    s=slap p=pop (duh)

this is what i play to practice. start slow, gradually build up til it's really fast. i dunno, it's just some cool thing i like to fool around with.
    (oh...on that first 7 on the D, i don't strike it, i just bring my left hand down and it sounds it out nicely.)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This exact thread was done like a week ago... less than a week ago actually.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah. This is the way to make enemies... grrr.

Anyway Obsolex. way to go speed up that slapping, fast slapping is the only righteous way to play bass dude.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Can I mention machine gun triplets or is that banned by the anti-war-talkers front? ;)

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No, but it is banned by the anti-tasteless-bass-playing front :D

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    As your man would say 'hang up yer hang ups' moley!
    Slap bass is an awsome techique, it really is. Just because the majority do it badly doesnt mean it cant be done well.

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    "No but it is banned by the anti-tasteless-bass-playing front :D"<------- Note the smiley, Howard - I was kidding!

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    what is friendly fire anyway?! :meh:

13. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    let's go off to technique......

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Minimize movement in your right hand. Flea looks real cool and he does what he does well, but not all of us can. Make the motion originate in your wrist, not your arm. Make only enough motion to slap or pop. Less movement=more speed.

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    To play fast, use as little motion and string contact as possible. Most of the motion should come from the rotation of the wrist. Keep your fingers and thumb loose and don't dig in under the string; you don't need to hook your fingers into a rigid claw to get a good pop.

Lastly, don't tense your arm and don't hang on the string once you've completed your attack. Use the natural rebound from the string to move your hand back to starting position.