Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping chords ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Paolo, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Hi

Is possible to slap chords ? How I can it ?

Thanks

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Well...If you want to SLAP chords you´ll probably have to slap like Flea and hit more than one string, but I know that if you want to pop then you´ll just have to use two or three fingers to pop at the same time i guess..

3. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    You can slap to strings at the same time , but usually it will wound like crap because the notes sound unequal in volume and usually it gets muddy to play chords on the E and A strings.
    Popping chords owns though.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why slap chords? Why not just strum or pluck or pop them? Slapping them wouldn't sound very good, IMO.

But, yes, its doable. Simply angle your thumb towards the floor almost, and slam down with the entire side of your left hand. Takes a little practice, but it would work fine.

5. slapping double stops sounds gooood!

check out the bas sintro to herbie hancocks who's gonna climb the mountain or whatever it's called... or some stanley clarke...

6. if you are acurate enough to hit the a d and g strings at the same time it sounds ok. on the e a and d strings it just sounds muddy. in an intro to a song my band wrote i slap chords to help add to the guitar sound and it sounds pretty cool.

7. Try slapping the root with your thumb and "brushing" or strumming the remaining strings with your fingers in a downward, "hand opening" movement.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yes, its sort of flamenco style, Flea and Claypool do it a lot. As someone else pointed out, it may not sound right at first. Adjust your tone, use your fingernails....try different parts of your hand, you get the idea.

9. You need to get your thumb perpindicular to the strings. You can only really slap as many strings as you can fit from the joint in your thumb to the tip. Power chords on the A, D, and G strings work the best.