1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slapping damage to fretboard! :(

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by blister179, Apr 17, 2010.

1. blister179

blister179

Jan 23, 2010
    Hey guys i noticed from playing my strings have left an indent at the end of the neck (close to the first pick up) and i was wondering the best solution to preventing further damage. I'm not sure if this answer is right but is raising the action correct? Thanks for helping!

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Nope, raising the action won't help. The damage is caused by the slapping. You're slamming the string into the wood so it's gonna eat up some of the wood. Your choices to alleviate the damage are:

A. Don't slap. Downside is that this means you're letting the instrument make the choice, not the music.
    B. Use softer strings- they'll still tear up the wood, but it won't be as bad. Downside is that you may not get the sound you want, and you'll still see the wear.
    C. Don't slap so hard- you just need to get your thumb to bounce of the string, you don't need to force the string into the wood.
    D. Slap so your thumb is hitting the string at the last fret. That way the string is bouncing off the fret, not the wood.
    E. Don't worry about it. The bass is a tool for musical expression. I think too many bass owners are too concerned about keeping their basses pristine for them to ever be bass PLAYERS. I say use the equipment and techniques that make the music you hear in your head. If that means stainless rounds on a fretless board, gouges in the tail of the fingerboard, blown speakers, short-lived tubes, whatever then that's the cost of admission.

John

3. Chicks dig scars.

4. blister179

blister179

Jan 23, 2010
    Thanks alot guys! I'll go with the last 3 options! Don't slap as hard but aim for the last fret and i do agree with the last option 4 sure, music is expression and the wear adds to the character of the instrument as you look back on how you improved and became the way you are now as a muscian!

Cheers guys!

:hyper: