Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping Dexterity

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brendan, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm a basic slapper, and I need a little bit of help developing my dexterity slapping. On (my 4 string) my E, I'm fine, but it's really hard forme to hit any other strings individually...and tips of building my accuracy/dexterity? Thanks....

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Just practice thumbing each string seperately.
    Try to use as little movement as possible (don't swing that thumb 5 inches from the bass and strike back hard as hell).
    I read somewhere in an interview with someone that the thumb should just lightly touch the string enough to get a little "slap".

Hope that helped some,
    Lovebown

3. I used to have that problem ON ALL THE STRINGS. Then I learned how to double slap, and let me tell you, you hardly ever miss, even when you aren't very good at it. In my experience that is.

4. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    spend a little more time on slapping the A,D,and G. What i did is i brought my strap up a lil so that the bass sat a lil higher. that made it a lil easier in my opinion (then again i had it sitting where the bass was below my waist).

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I have always used my right pinky to anchor my hand down. I stick it right at the base of the neck, so my right hand always stays stationary when I slap. It's not exactly all in the slap though. getting a good slap technique down depends on having all your fingers working together well. Try working with
    with getting your hammer-ons and pops well sincopated.You probably already know this but, most players pop the upper strings out to accent their slaps. Try this as an exorcise:
    Slap your open E string,hammer on a note,and pop
    the upper octave of the hammered on note creating a triplet. Practicing things like that will help improve your dexterity.

6. sampsonite

sampsonite

Aug 27, 2000
    what is double slap? i am just a little ignorant here.....oh and 6-stringer where are your hands where you slap? it sounded like you said you were slapping the fretboard. i am new with slapping so i don't know if that is even the proper way to do it

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Make an attempt practicing scales and improvised runs while slapping. These will help in your dexterity and accuracy. Sometimes ya just have to practice the boring stuff before you'll see any improvements.