1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slapping fingerstyle

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by simenandreas, Mar 5, 2013.

1. simenandreas

simenandreas

Jan 23, 2011
    Do you know what I mean by that? There is a sound/technic I have heard some players do by hiting hard fingerstyle near the neck pickup on some basses. I have search for it, but never found a name of the tehnic. I feel like no other bassist is even aware of whats going on. A good example of the technic/sound can be heard from this amazing bassist:

I have been trying to figure out what there is behind this "buzzfret" kinda tone. It is surly a nice low action with low saddle action. But I think its also the fretsize of the bass. Am I right? I could get this controlled fretbuzz from my Marcus Miller jazz bass, but cant get anything out of my Sandberg jm4. Even with the same action on both basses. I believe the Sandberg got a bigger fretsize than the Miller-bass. But I cant find any info about their fretsize.
    The early 60s basses from Fender got a very small fret called "vintage fretsize". If I`m not wrong, this fret can help me get my controlled buzzsound that I want.

Am I right or just completely of?

Thanks - Simen

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Check out Stan Sargent or Doug Wimbish. They both have a style of slapping where they use their fingertips instead of their thumb. Doug plays both ways but Stan is a lefty upsidedowner.

Those videos you linked, they are not 'slapping'. They are just playing hard on a bass with single coils. It can give the effect of slapping. Marcus does it to.

3. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Check out some Vintage Geezer Butler...

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There has been a megathread on this, it's a fairly common technique for "metal" bassists these days and yields some good results IME.

You want to use light SS strings, get the action very close to the fretboard, play really freakin hard, and turn down the treble on your amp. If you have any tweeters turn them off completely, because this technique will sound very lackluster if you have squealy highs on your rig. Tube amps aren't necessary, but I can imagine the natural compression and grindy tone would make this technique pretty sweet.

I will look for the thread on this topic.

EDIT: It's a big read, but here it is...this was in the Stickies BTW

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f21/d...-make-fingerstyle-playing-heard-metal-378173/

5. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Here's a good video on it too.

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Looks like a cool technique I just started messing around with tapping.

7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Also check out Doug Johns. He makes me mad :)