Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping friendly basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robe, Apr 3, 2004.

1. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    At the moment i am using a Yamaha Rbx 460 bass and i am fiding it easy to slap on , but sometimes the p pickup gets in the way of popping.

I was wondering what is a fairly good splapper at an affordable price?(around $500 australian)

Plz reply soon
    thanx

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Fender Jazz- dont know how much those are in australian money

3. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    Thats all i got to say!

4. The best slap basses are Musicmans and Warwicks. Since you're on a budgetm you might wanna try out the Musicman S.U.B., which is like a budget Stingray.

5. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    over her the sub is around $1300
    so its still a bit expensive.
    What do you think of a music man clone?

6. if price is an issue then i'd say go for it...but it isn't going to be a stingray

i've played the s.u.b, stingray and olp stingray clone (mm2) and they all have something different going on... the olp feels very close to the real thing, more so than the sub IMO hugely due to the neck. maybe its also because i played a passive s.u.b and my olp is active w/bartolini electronics.... nevertheless be careful with "clones"- the build quality varies from instrument to instrument and i'd definately play before you pay.
    i'm really happy with the way my olp plays, its great for slap and fingerstyle stuff, with the mids adjusted accordingly of course. even when it was passive it was still quite a nice instrument for the price!

7. I saw a musicman in guitar world for $600 (australian)(could have been $900 now I think about it), brand new, it was a level lower than the sub (dont ask me???!!!???!!!). Sounded awsome, the money was saved on the finish of the bass, I think it looked good anyway, I wouldnt trust its reliability or endurance personally...

8. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    thanx for the great advice.
    I think that i will save up my pennies wait til my birthday then sell the yamaha and the il have around 700 buks to spend.

Being 13 years of age makes it difficult to buy a good bass. :meh: if only i had a job.

Wat do yu think about my plan.
    Btw i may be only 13, but i can slap a hell of a lot better than my bass teacher.( hes more into jazz and cool licks and scales)

9. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    btw over here in oz, they cost around $550-$600 so i shoulds be able to get it! :bassist: :bassist:

10. i wish i had been into bass at that age!!
    slapping/popping isnt hard, its something most people can pick up quite easily (i think) its using it properly thats the hard part.... i find it really hard to sound good with a pick :(

11. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    When i read that post i made about me slapping better thean my teacher, i looks like im bragging....ow embarrassing. Sorry n e ways htanx 4 all the help i greatly appreciate it. If n e body who wants to put a photo of your "slap friendly bass"
    i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanx for the advice.

12. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO

I can't slap to save my life, but I can pick like a madman. You play what you practice, or so it goes...

Back on subject, I just bought an OLP Axis clone (yes I know it's a guitar :spit: ) and I like it. I've also liked the OLP MM2's I've played in stores. If you're only 13, I'd save the money and get that. It will be more than enough to get you by until that job comes and you can get something "real".

13. Stingrays are good for slap.

14. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    Thanx everybody for the help and advice.
    I think i will save up and buy the olp. They have to be ordered in and they cost around $600 australian which is around $450 us.
    guitars are really expensive over here for example; a brand new stingray over here costs around $3500 australian or $2700 US. So its quite hard to buy a decent bass.

Than for the help

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would try to find an Ibanez ATK. Costs around the same as the OLP but KICKS ITS BUTT!

16. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Agree 100% avbout the ATK. If you can find one, get it!

17. I'd say a Jazz bass is best for slapping. Get a Fender MIM for that price and see if it suits you.

18. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    man i'm telling you...i grew up playing a stingray.....i just bought a MIM fender jazz....it's funky...very comfortable to slap......don't tell my stingray i said this.....but i like slapping the fender more... :(

19. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah jazz is easy...

20. UM... i think you dropped this: :rolleyes: