Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping fundamentals

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bigbass611, Mar 27, 2001.

1. bigbass611

bigbass611

Jul 14, 2000
    I want to start being able to slap/funk ala flea. How should I start?? I know I need to slap the E and A string with my thumb and pop the D and G string with my middle finger, I think. But what should I do to get good and rhythmic? Any advice would be great advice. Thanks so Much, Mark.

2. Hi
    why you don't buy the book "the slap bass metod" ?

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I occasionally slap the D and G string. I pop with my index finger.
    Getting good rhythm while slapping is a lifetime achievement. I've been slapping the hell out of my bass for over two years, and it's still hard to get a good groove with it. I think I have to spend at least two more years to get any good at it.
    It takes a lot of time.

4. fitz

fitz Guest

First begin with where you slap. Slap just where the fret board starts, it gives you a fuller sound. Don't start big with Chili Peppers stuff, its to hard and syncopated. Try 16 by green day. Its and easy riff(accept the solo, which is a little harder) and simple rythym. Like oysterman said, developing rythym is a life acheivment, and I pop with both my index and middle finger. Feel free to ask any questions you have.
    Fitz

5. remember that slap is just a trick, a thrill for others, so getting good is the aim , so that you can add another "trick" to your bass amourey

the best advice is to take your time, invest in a decent video or book, but we all know what happens when your buy a book, you end up looking at the pictures or not reading it properly, so videos are usually the best way to go.

don't confine yourself to just slapping the E & A or popping the D & G practice slapping and popping them all!!, try the open strings, for instance,

slap the E, then mute it with your fretting hand, then the A and mute it. try popping all the strings individually on fretted notes

you will find that muting is as important as slapping, but a good slap, pop and muting technique is needed before you can become great at this style

look at players that interest you,, look at there technique, slap bass lines that you know, don't try and emulate flea or Clarke,

why would you want to be like them ??
    their not special,, just older and more experienced

slapping will come with eperience, practice, and most importantly time

if your not sure of a certain technique or what anyones talking about, ask!
    i don't mean to patronisem just help,, some people here can develope a rather ignorant or naive attitude ie " why dont you buy a book" the best learnig resource is this place, us guys and we all keep on learning

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

To me, the best book for starters (and advanced) on slapping is "Slap it!" by Tony Oppenheim. Not only for the technical and reading skills you can develop, but also for the interesting philosophy that the author displays on this book. Perhaps the only aspect to be reinforced with a good video (for starters) is the instrument placement, because it implies two different approaches:

1. Slap with your thumb perpendicular to the strings, which means you should wear your bass low, or

2. Slap with your thumb parallel to the strings, which means you should wear your bass high. I favor this approach. I highly recommend the first Stuart Hamm video "Slap, pop and tap for the bass" from Hot Licks for getting into this one, but this is more a matter of taste. (although i don't know how can those guys slap the first way.)

When you make up your mind on this, "Slap it!" will prove to be one of the best tools for develop your chops arsenal. Here's the URL:

http://slapit.com

Hope this helps. :)

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I second slap it, it's the best book for slap out there.

8. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    A handy trick I found to get the "groove" going while slapping is to think in 16ths/and or imagine a hi-hat rhythm so for example if the groove is in 4/4 instead of counting 1,2,3,4 count 1& 2& 3& 4& or taka taka taka taka (insert your own words here).

A great way to get your hands used to this motion is to damp the strings with your fretting hand and then simply slap the E string and pop the G string (wow never thought I'd say that in a non sexual sentence) counting 1&2&....taka taka taka etc. the trick is to keep the rhythm constant..dont worry about notes just yet get used to the taka..taka..taka rhythm (I hope this makes sense..its actually a piece of cake once you get used to it).

once you've gotten comfortable with this try adding some notes eg:
    slap the open E string ....mute the strings...slap the E and pop the G twice(this is your "taka..taka" sound) then unmute the strings (not sure if thats even a word??) and slap the open E again, you should get something like..E..taka taka..E, keep this up for a while till you get used to it....experiment...add other notes, the idea is to get comfortable with the motion, once you get used to it youll find playing most of Fleas parts a lot easier..(eg.. Higher ground, aeroplane)

Hope this makes sense ???

9. Slap It! is a great book. I'd reccomend it to anyone. It really gives you a whole new light on slap and funk.

10. Bob_The_Cow

Bob_The_Cow

Jun 8, 2000
    ive been attempting slap for only a couple of months and i must admit that when i started i thought i was doing about seventy thousand things wrong all at the same time. but as was afformentioned practice and time will make you better.

and Murf a sixteenth rythm in 4/4 time would be 1-e-&-uh 2-e-&-uh 3-e-&-uh 4-e-&-uh

an eighth note rythm would be 1& 2& 3& 4& but i agree i with you, i also try to imagine a rythm in my head, in fact i asked my freind who plays drums to record me some simple steady beats that i use to just make stuff up along with.

11. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Allright Bob..

quote:and Murf a sixteenth rythm in 4/4 time would be 1-e-&-uh 2-e-&-uh 3-e-&-uh 4-e-&-uh

ooopps, sorry 'bout that its a bit of a problem actually cos in Europe we use a different convention for music notation..

a whole note= crotchet
    a quarter note= a quaver..etc. etc. etc.
    we're not really used to calling things 16ths, 32s etc,

so ye can see how I get a little confused sometimes

(or maybe I just dreamt it.)

cheers

12. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    wots the different between parrallel or perpendicular? i thought they were the same thing

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    they are opposite. parallel is like this " = " and perpendicular is like this "T"

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    There's a great video on this too:

The Slap Bass Program by Alexis Sklarevski

I can't slap well at all, so I knew I needed instruction on it. This video is darn good too. I could not find it for less than $45 bucks or so though, so that kind of stunk.

Still, he starts things off really simple, like traditional lessons are structured. If you get it, stop the tape often and practice each fundamental instead of trying to digest too much at once. The lessons run the gamut from total newbie to very technical slap techniques, so it moves along at a pretty good pace.

As dumb as I feel sitting there playing mickey mouse stuff, I know I need to do it to acclimate to the groove of slap rhythms, which is a lot different than my usual fare. I give the lessons due time because I'm such a novice at slap.

I recommend the video though. He plays a Spector in the video, but I practice on my Fender Jazz. I can't slap as well on my Spector, but he sure can!!

15. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    so if your thumb is parallel to the string it is running along side of it. and perpendicular is your thumb crossing the string going down?

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    exactly.

17. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool