Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping Help Please!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by enderbass14, Oct 23, 2000.

1. enderbass14

enderbass14

Sep 28, 2000
    I need help with slapping... both the thumb motion (slap) and the finger movement (pop). Any advice on this method of playing bass would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. you basically just hit the string with the thumb like a piano hammer... just really quick down and then up... and pop by putting a finger under the string and then "pop" it up...

I hope this was quite clear.. (probably wasn´t) :)

but some links:

http://aic.se/basslob
    http://www.libster.com

there are many more pages that I don´t remember right now... :)

3. enderbass14

enderbass14

Sep 28, 2000
    thanks... anymore help anybody?

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    As the other poster mentioned,strike the string with your thumb near the neck in a downward motion. Let it bounce. Do not just clumsily hit it or you will end up with a dead note. It's almost as if you were striking the string with a pick in a downward stroke,a lot easier to demonstrate than explain.

To pop,just pull upward on the string. Try practicing octaves to get a feel for it,7th fret on the A string (slap) and 9th fret on the G string pop. Now go to the 3rd fret on the E string and the 5th on the D string.

Something that I do habitually and works well is whenever possible (as I said it will eventually become habit,) pop the G string with your middle finger on your plucking hand and the D string with your index finger. This will allow for easier finger placement and will aid in a more fluent and ultimately faster popping technique.

5. If you can get a hold of Louis Johnson's instruction video(s) you will get more than an eye/earful.His vid changed my slapping style and it was easy to follow.He's a pretty good teacher.I hope I was helpful.Good luck and good slappin'.

6. enderbass14

enderbass14

Sep 28, 2000
    thanks... i just might try that

7. I'd advise getting a video ro you'll end up with a crap slap technique like me!