Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping help plz

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by limp_dan, Sep 5, 2002.

1. limp_dan

limp_dan

Aug 7, 2002
    Australia
    Hey all ,

i've been playing bass for about 4 yrs and ive nebver really done much slapping but im really getting into it lately. I have just been doing little excercises and i am after some good slapping songs to learn. I want something a bit trickey but ive only been slapping for a while so nothing too fancy. Also i was wondering what settigns my amp should be on to get a good slapping tone.

Thanks guys :D

2. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    You could be like me and play Higher Ground and then run around the house going I AM SLAP GOD! :D

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    scratch and sniff by bela fleck and the flecktones

slam the clown by alain caron

those are pretty cool tunes

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Incubus - You Will Be A Hot Dancer (even has a slap solo:D)

Also pretty much anything else off Incubus - Fungus Amongus

5. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    you should check out the Aeroplane slap part, and the bass solo in Can't Stop.

Maybe try playing a normal bass part as slap, i practice slap by playing songs as slap that have no slap - i started with 16th notes in blink songs and worked my way from there.

I wouldn't consider myself a slap god, but i would consider myself pretty good.;)

6. The perfect setting for a good Jazz slap (R.H.C.P.
    Primus, Some Incubus) is as follows. If you are using a 10 band grapic EQ then slide the nobs into a "Smile". Turn up the treble on your bass and also turn up the Bass halfway (treble being full). It is very easy to get the slap effect. You need to know how to slap too. When you slap try to slap the strings farther away from the fretboard (about 3/4 down the playing area for your fingers).

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    "Naked in the Rain" by RHCP is a great song to start learning slap with. It allows you to practice sliding and slapping at the same time and really allows you to work on multiple slaps and pops, all at a relatively slow pace.