Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jayzarecki, Mar 14, 2005.

1. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    ok, i can't belive im asking for help, but here goes.

im auditioning for another band and one of the songs is higher ground by chili peppers. now, i knwo all teh notes etc for the song, but for some reaosn i cant keep the rythm going for the slapping. i think my 5string is getting in the way. Ive never really screwed around with slapping alot, but i can do it on a limited if not non-creative way.

what am i missing? its liek im 16 again, and dont know how to play, its really frustrating and strange that i cant play this one song.... any suggestiosn woudl be appreciated...

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There is some syncopation going on there that can be a bit tricky at first.

The only way to get it down is to woodshed. Get the CD, and sit and practice the part until you get it down.

3. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    yeah ive been doing that, it seems the slapping gets all stumbly.... it wierd i know how, but the fingers keep reverting to the stevie wonder version

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    .....WHAT HE SAID!!!(It's not the 5 string)

(T=thumb P=pop):TTPTTTPTTP TTPTTPP and repeat..

5. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    i think its that pattern thast getting me, or rather to keep repeating it...the driving guitar makes me....oh never mind...time to put in some hours, or rewrite the part..one or the other.

6. jedwards

jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Colorado
    You can simplify the pattern a bit by hammering on the note with your left hand (assuming you are right handed). There is a natural bounce with that song in particular I didn't notice until I watched flea play it live. His left hand hammers on the g, so it sounds like a slap. By removing just that one slap from the riff, it actually is much easier to play.

And there is never a substitute for practice either....

7. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    jedwards, i think i know what youre talking about, but i think id have to see it. im gonna go dig around in MTV's videos and see if i can find that song.

i know there is no substitution for practice, its just i havnt done it in prolly 5 or more years....

8. jedwards

jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Colorado
    If the pattern is "TTPTTTPTTP TTPTTPP"

Try this: TTPHTTPTTP TTPTTPP H=left hand hammer on. Then you'll notice the right hand slapping is just a constant TTP, TTP, TTP....

I hope that explains it a little better. The internet makes this difficult, almost like trying to teach someone how to tie a shoe with smoke signals...

9. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    thanks, its not my thumb though, it the wierd stretch with the ring finger getting teh octave. switching chords make me fumble a bit with the finger....wierd. its just somehting i have veryt limited experiance in...so i guess its up to the finger to get its act together or its fired! lol

nice smoke signal joke..BTW! :D

10. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    I'll give you a hint for how to nail a good rhythm

Use your fretting hand to mute all of the strings and pluck/slap/hammer a drum beat on all of the strings. It's how I first learned to get any sort of rhythm. Everyone now and then I will practise a new rhythm and the tune comes from there

It helps with learning difficult slap lines as well

11. pdanko

pdanko

Mar 20, 2005
    For the octave just try using your pinky instead of your ring finger. I use my pinky all the time, however this used to drive my classical upright teacher crazy.

-pdanko

12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    ...did you mean to say using your ring finger drove your teacher crazy?

13. mab110

mab110

Mar 28, 2005