Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping Help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by munkycharmz, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Hey. I have been playing bass for about a year and a half and I have just gotten into listening to funk and other "slappy" basslines (rhcp, mudvayne). I want to know if it is possible to slap, not pop, other strings besides the E string. I try to but I end up hitting everystring instead of the A or whatever. Maybe Im just being stupid but I just want to know if its possible. Thanks for your help.
    Munky Charmz

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Bassically you can slap and pop on every string.

You probably need to work on your precision.
    A lot of people slap too hard, use less strength and try to optimize your slap movements.
    If you swing too wide you're more likely to hit adjacent strings.
    The good players use as little movement as possible (that's why it looks so easy when they play).
    It might help to keep the thumb more parallel to the string, so it's less likely to hit other strings.

3. All right. Thank you.

4. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    Try muting with your non-fretting hand.

5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    :) I think you mean try muting with your non-fretting fingers of your left hand. Your non-fretting hand would be your slapping hand, and you can't mute with that one! ;)

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can mute with the base of your palm/lower arm though. But you can't always use that.

7. remember

ANYTHING CAN BE SLAPPED, IT JUST TAKES TIME!

i can slap tables, the computer, the bus, plastic cups at work, loads of things :)

8. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    Maybe I should learn to proof read, dont you think?