Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SLapping (hELP)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by werbo, Dec 13, 2001.

1. werbo

werbo Guest

Sep 8, 2001
    kingston NY
    Hey....i need help wiht slapping...i don't know how to do it please help me

- Werbo

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Here's what you need to do at first. Take your thumb, and practice hitting each open string. Trust me this will be important. You need to get where you can get clean sounds without sustaining them. It needs to have a stacato sound. Once you've gotten that down, practice octaves. Also, take some basslines that you already know, and try slapping those. Start SLOWLY, sometimes slapping for the first time is like sex for the first time. There's a tendancy to go fast. Er...uh...not that I would know, mind you! This will help you, trust me, I'm a black man!:D

3. ....right.....:p Good advice though.

4. Wow! I wish you were here about a year ago.
    One of the larger trolls posted a thread titled: Why are all black bass players funky?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Even though I value the humor in that stereotype, a lot of people, black and white, believe that nonsense.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    the thought of Michael Jackson whenever this subject comes up always makes me giggle like the pastey-faced little street urchin that i am :D

7. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    JUAN NELSON IS FUNKY

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    So's Pino Palladino.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    do a search on slapping, you will have a lots of different answer.

10. I'm funky, and I'm just some pinner white boy with long hair...:) Oh yeah, when I slap it's a little muddled, and isn't too bright. Do I just need brighter strings and more treble (altho i have lots now) or need to hit the string in a different manner? BTW I'm self-taught, slap with my thumb perpindicular to the string with a wrist-motion and usually hit around the joint in my thumb.

11. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    where on the string do you slap, i find it works best if your thumb strikes the string nat the end of the fretboard.but ive alos seen people slap near ste bridge(i dont see how that works,when ever i try it i get a big thud). your strings are probably just too old.peace;)

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Ahh, memories. We get nostalgic around this time of year;)

13. i'm black. i wish i was funktacular. i do try though. i am te funkiest bassist that i know(by know i'm have talked to and have had physical contact with), but i'm no too funky at all.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    We talk about personal physical contact only in OT

15. You could always go out and buy a video... but I would suggest you go check out another local bass player, and just play around with technique during practice time... just be careful not to over-use it, which is easy to do (trust me on this one !).

16. Mr Slap

Mr Slap

Jan 10, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi. im new to this forum and also pretty new at bass playing... You could say i played a couple of years, but im actually a guitarist, and now im starting to play bass for real... Im a little puzzled about bass pickups... Whats the ideal for slap playing, and general groove/funk playing... I have also been wondering about the Boss Synthbass stompbox.. is it good, and does it fit for funky stuff ???

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are two issues here.

Firstly, I think that funk or funkiness is about the way you play and nothing to do with gear - there have been loads of funky players and they all used different gear - it's not about what you've got but what you do with it! ;)

Secondly - never equate slap with funky - some of the funkiest players ever, never slapped. While a lot of the current slapers are as far away from funk as it's possible to be!

18. Speaking of Funk with out the slap.

I watched the movie Kool and the Gang live at the House of Blues last night. Robert "Kool" Bell is a damn funky player. Did he slap? For about 3 seconds.

In other words you don't need to wack the strings with your thumb to be funky.

19. Mr Slap

Mr Slap

Jan 10, 2002
    Sweden
    I know very well that a funky groove can be played without one single slap... But, i have heard some seriously funky slapping... Also, there must be pickups that are more ideal for slapping than others... And since im soon about to get a bass, i figured, why not do a little research... And trust that i know my funk.. I have played in several funk bands...:rolleyes:

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why? Pickups are just there to amplify what you do - the original slappers would have used passive basses, but are no less funky because of this, than someone who uses sophisticated active electronics.

I think with slapping it's more about things like string spacing and action than which pickups.