slapping messed up my bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Jul 10, 2002.

1. A friend was playing my bass, he's a big time slop and pop player. Well after he played it, I noticed that the "A" string now has fret buzz. Is it possible that the bridge saddle is messed up? The string height is still the same. All the other strings sre fine except that one.
    need help on this one.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well It won't be slapping that messed it up - but rather playing with too much force. It's possible to slap with a very light touch, so it's not slapping in istelf that would mess anything up, but just playing too hard!
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Was he slapping with a hammer?
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Do you have an spare "A" to replace the buzzing string???

Hard slap and pop is tough on strings (I used to damage them with hard slap n' pop occasionally).

You may find the problem goes away with a new string/string that hasn't been abused. It's just odd that only one string would be affected
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yup. Probably just stretched out that string with a little too hard of a yank. It isn't likely that he could have done anything worse that wouldn't be readily visable.

And you wonder why sales people are a little touchy when the flea-wannabes start beating on basses in the music stores. :rolleyes:

6. I think if you knock your friend over the head with your bass just right, it should put that A-string right back into place.
  7. That REALLY HURTS. Seriously not cool d00d. :eek:
  8. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I agree 100%.

Dan, where do you live? I lived is Warsaw KY for 13 years, spent lots of time in Florence, Erlanger & Cincy.
  9. I grew up in Edgewood, but now I live in Ft. Mitchell, basically two miles down the road. How long have you been away? You might not even recognize Florence, Erlanger, etc. if you came back today, it's starting to show signs of urban sprawl.