1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slapping 'n' Tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by servetakid, Apr 14, 2009.

1. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    can someone please explain these two techniques to a beginer in simple english

cheers

2. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Slapping:
    Slap the string with your thumb.

Tapping:
    Tap the strings with your fingers.

3. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Both are fantastic techniques in the hands of an expert, but generally, a rapid, shurefire way to get fired from at least 60% of the bands out there.:p

Fingers and pick. That's where the money's at for most of us, IME.

4. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What genre of music do you play? You will only need to learn slap if you are playing funk music (pretty much) or certain types of rock music. Tapping on a bass is not going to come up in a band context in 99.9% of bands.

Im laughing at the idea of someone in a band asking me to throw in a tapping section in a song. Sometimes it can be a cool trick to reach up and hit a little hammer on tap. Vic Wooten throws these in all the time.

5. Look at really anything that Stu Hamm has done. It is weird for me to see him finger picking :p

6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    For clarity

Slapping is rotating the wrist back and forth and hitting the strings with your thumb.

Tapping is tapping the strings ON THE FRETBOARD to make notes, this can be done with any number of fingers, including both hands.

7. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    What about Dream Theater? Metropolis Pt. 1 as an example...
    Just throwing that in there. In general however, I do agree. Tapping on bass is generally not useful, besides for a bass solo in a song or whatever.

Slapping is generally more useful, but as said, usually only in funk music and other types sometimes. Depends.

8. I've found tapping to be very useful in my playing. In my 3 piece, I use tapping during some leads that I take. I have to admit though, I've tapped in songs where it really didn't belong solely because I wanted to do some tapping during that particular part. It doesn't sound good if you force it.

I believe that a well rounded bassist should at least be familiar with a few different techniques other than traditional finger style or picking. Such as tapping, slapping, false harmonics, or even double thumbing and sweeping. You never know what the gig may call for.

9. Alduroth

Alduroth

Mar 3, 2009
    haha I tapped some **** at band practice yesterday and they were all thrown out of balance, although it was musically correct and fitted the song good. But then they said ok you can do that for a measure.
    Me was happy :> was just a simple chord tap

Anyway try to learn loads of techniques. Cuz as Insomniac said you never know what the gig may call for.