Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping on 21 frets & 24 frets

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CJY, May 24, 2001.

1. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    When I first started playing, I was playing a 4 string with 21 frets.I spent a few years playing that.3 years ago,I started playing a 24 fret 5 string.When I slap on the 4 string,my thumb seemed to go to the area right below the last fret.When I switched to the 5,I noticed that my thumb will still subconsciously go below the 21st fret,which made slapping and popping awkward.Initially I thought that I will soon get used to slapping 24 frets,but I never did.I had pull my slapping hand back when playing the 24 frets.I also discovered that the closer the strings are to the bridge,the tighter it is,thus making it slightly more difficult to slap and pop if the bass had more frets.Slapping on 24 frets seems very natural to people like Victor Wooten,so I wonder if I'm the only one to feel uncomfortable slapping on 24.Anybody out there also feel the same way?

I ask this because I love playing 5 strings but where I'm from(Singapore) most 5 strings have 24 frets.I feel more comfortable on a 21 fretter but there are none available.

2. Hmmm...
    it could just be me, but whatever bass I have in my hands, and however many frets it has, I just unconsciously slap at the end of the neck, where there's that little 'extension' after the last fret.

I started out on a 20-fret Fender, and then when I got my Ibanez 5'er, I never really realized it had 24 frets until I looked at the neck closely, and thought "Cool! 2 octaves on one string now!" :D

Anyway, if you think it's a problem that you find yourself slapping behind (or is it in front of?) the 21st fret, then try slapping without looking at the bass, assuming that you currently do, that is.
    That SHOULD help eliminate most problems. Just try some simple slap lines so you won't have to look at the fingerboard much, if at all.

Of course, if you find yourself still slapping right past the 21st fret without looking, then I can't think of anything else that might help right now.

And good luck. ;):)

3. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Actually , I should have added that I DO slap the 21st fret subconsciously(with my eyes closed) on the 24 fretter.I'm beginning to think that it IS just me! Anyway I've always felt that slapping around the 20/21 fret sounds better than at the 24th.It has a looser,bouncier sound,IMO.

4. Hmmm...
    well, if it's the sound you're looking for, I guess it works just as well. You'd probably have to make some adjustments to hand position or something, but if that's the way you like it, then I see nothing wrong with it. :)

Now if only it weren't passed 10:00, I'd try slapping up around the 21st fret on my 5 string. Too bad, my grandmother's asleep, so I can't hear what it'd sound like plugged in. :(

5. I, like sheepy, always slap at the end of the neck on every bass I slap on... :)

but one question.... how the hell do you pop at the 21st fret? I just can´t do it properly...

6. I just tried it. It's funky. :D:p
    I tried sorta...tilting my hand a little, so that my middle finger ('regular' popping finger for me) can pop at the end of the neck relatively comfortably, but if I were to keep doing that, it'd probably take me a while to really get comfortable with it. :D