Slapping on 4 vs 5,6,7...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AfterDark, Aug 6, 2004.

1. AfterDark

Jul 13, 2004
    You know, something that I've noticed on other famous bass players and from my own experience as well is that a lot (but not all) of the people that you see doing slap demonstrations do it on 4-string as opposed to the other numbers of strings. I suppose I can understand how the low B-string can get in the way and muddy up the mix but what about 6 and 7-string basses?

Basically, why do name bassists (i.e. Mark King, Victor Wooten, Stu Hamm for example) who can probably afford any kind of bass they want choose 4-string for their primary bass? Do you suppose there is something I'm missing other than the stuff I already named out above?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think Wooten has at least one six.

It really comes down to personal preference, most music only needs a four string. But, some couldn't be played without an ERB. If the line could be played on a four string I know wouldn't want to play it on a nine string and have to worry about muting five extra strings.

As always, number of strings doesn't equal talent. But in constrast, more strings require more muting to maintain clarity. There are awesome players who play only play fours, but there are equally awesome, albeit occasionally less musical bassists who play only ERB's.
  3. Yeah, it also has to do with the spacing between the strings. It's nice to have a 5/6 string bass around, but sometimes it's cooler to settle for just a 4 string. Hey, if Jaco/Marcus/Victor can do it... :)