Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping on a 5-string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by El-Gato, Mar 4, 2003.

1. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    I have a problem with slapping/popping on my 5-string. I am not able to slap the E and pop the D with ease/as fast as A to G. I was wondering if anyone else had/has this problem and any solutions would be great.

2. Practice.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You don't need as much wacky hand motion to get a good slap pop as you think. Minimize your movements and you won't get caught up in the extra string(s).

4. just turn on the metronome, and go though the patterns, slap on e and pop on d, and do it till you can do it in your sleep
    slap-pop, slap-pop, get that clean and fast,

then, slap-slap-pop, triplets and sixteenths

then, slap-pop-pop, triplets and sixteenth notes

then, slap-slap-pop-pop in sixteenth notes,

then, practice doing one bar on the e and d, and then switch to the a and g with out stopping your groove, and try to get the transition clean, and get the slapping and popping on the e and d to sound as much like your popping on the a and g, you can practice this having the notes speak or all ghost notes too, whatever you want,
    The whole time, you gotta remember to keep that b string silent, keep in mind to not hit it with your thumb, and try to mute with your fretting hand, by curling your thumb around or with your fingers,
    And i just realized i need to practice this e and d slapping, I hope that helps

5. Hmm thats kinda odd to me, i had more trouble slapping the A string and poping the G string than I did from slapping the E and popping the D. What kind of bass do you have? the string spacing may have something to do with it. If its too tight you may hit the other strings while slapping and if its too wide your hands may not be able to do the stretch. But as they say practice will make perfect so just keep practicing and youll get it

6. ditto