1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slapping on a 6 String?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Kosko, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    So my custom is just about to start production and I'm stuck between ordering a 5 or 6 string. My Biggest concern is that I'm able to slap on the bass. Its notoriously easier to slap on a 4, but I've also also been slappin' on a 5 (Ibanez) for quite a while now. Do people playing the ERBs have trouble slapping on them or is that common as well? Just curious, thanks to any responses.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I still feel best playing on a 4 string, but I can slap on a 6 string without trouble. A friend of mine has a Warwick Thumb 6 string-awesome bass for slapping on!

3. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I slap my seven, my sixes, and even my 12ver (triple course).

4. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Thanks guys, I think thats all the encouragement I needed... and basshole, that is the best name I've seen in awhile.

5. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Obviously it takes some work to get used to muting the extra string(s). I slap a little on my Ibanez SR506 with pretty tight string spacing no problem though. Go for the 6!

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Thanks, but it's really short for Flaming Basshole. Seems I have the innate ability to piss people off a lot...

7. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    I've been playing 4 string for 17 yrs, and switched recently to 5 string. Personally, slapping on the 5 is an issue for me, so I've switched to "finger funk", which is equally satisfying, and it doesn't irritate those who don't like the slapping sound of bass, which is not as popular as it used to be (think of the 80's).

8. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Too bad they're so neck heavy. I've often wondered why they don't simply put a longer upper horn to fix the problem?!?:confused:

9. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey man, see if you can get the maker of your bass to do that whole "wideneck" option like warwick has... Same bass just more room in between strings so you dont get caught up on them when slapping. A lot of basses give you less and less room inbetween strings with the more strings you get.

http://www.warwickbass.com/specs.html

10. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    19mm hurray

11. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    I was a much better slapper when I played 4's (i.e. when it was time for a bass solo, out popped the thumb) but when I switched to 5's , I started to concentrate on my fingerstyle for soloing and getting that more fluid and only slapped on a few songs that called for it (and I now never slap in a solo, because I have no slap chops). I recently switched to 6's and i've noticed that it's not the slapping that is giving me the problems, it's that I sometimes pluck the wrong string for the "pop", but I also only play a few songs that call for that technique. I'm sure the more I play the 6, the more i'll get comfortable slapping.:bassist:

12. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    As people already mentioned, 19mm spacing makes slapping easy regardless of the amount of strings.

13. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I disagree. It's just a matter of practice.

Take a listen to Scott Mishoe (www.scottmishoe.com). He's playing wooten licks on about 10mm string spacing as do many guitarists who are now doing the slapping and popping.

Then there's the guys playing 7, 8 and 9 string basses like Bill Dickens.

I actually find it easier to do everything on the more narrow spacing.

14. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    relearning how to slap was a chore when i picked up my warwick 5er
    . but now i'm okay.

15. IMO it is easier to slap with a tight spacing. I have 16.5mm on my fiver and 17mm spacing on my sixer and both are really easy to slap on. The first time that I picked up my sixer I could slap on it.

lowsound

16. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    That link is busted. Should be www.scottmishoe.com.
    YES!!!
    [​IMG]

17. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Sometimes I feel like the C string can get in my way but I think it's just a matter of practice and determination. I hardly ever slap but when I do I like to have plenty of room to get my fingers in there.

18. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    Sure, people can slap on instruments with minimal string spacing, I wasn't saying that... I was merely answering the original posters worries regarding slapping on a 6-string.

Since he mentioned that "Its notoriously easier to slap on a 4" I just wanted to point out that the ease of slapping on a 4-string doesn't have anything to do with the amount of strings, but rather the string spacing... imho ofc.

19. spindizzy

spindizzy

Apr 12, 2004
    Michigan
    Not that you need any more advice as what is really coming out in this thread is that the number of strings and degree of string spacing is in the eye of the beholder as it relates to slapping. I have slapped a seven for years and it was in general not a problem. You make some compromises with the string spacing if it is 17mm or smaller but with time you can overcome it. When I had my recent bass built I decided to open it up a little and went with 18mm. I didn't want to make as big a jump to 19mm so 18mm was kind of a silly millimeter increase. It has help with cuticle damage as it seemed like I ripped them up a little with the 17mm but overall I haven't felt like it made life tons easier. It's all what you get used to and are willing to work at.

20. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, Scott's a monster but slapping and popping is ironically making a comeback on guitar, particularly among the alt-acoustic folks. Folks like Mishoe, Kaki King, Jacqui Gibson, Justin King and many others are slapping up a storm. Scott Mishoe is sort of the Victor Wooten of the guitar and he's slapping and popping with very small string spacing. Heck, for that matter, Reggie Wooten plays 90% of the stuff victor plays on the narrow spacing of a guitar.

SPACING IS NOT AN ISSUE FOR SLAPPING! ;)