Slapping on A

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Feb 16, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I was just playing a greenday song (Warning) and thought i might play it slap style. I do this all the time and just want to know, is it OK to pop on the A-String? Is it a bad habit that i should try and stop or is it OK. Its something i feel "comfortable" with but i can also slap it but as i said, it feel easier and more comfortable if i pop it.

Any thoguhts?
  2. Anything wrong with popping the A?
    Not as far as I know. Heck, you could pop the E or B or, if you're JT, F# and it wouldn't technically be "wrong", because there are no real "wrong" techniques, just bad ones. :p
  3. ok well then do you think it is technincly bad to pop the E or the B string... I do this in one of our bands songs a fair bit.
  4. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I don't see why it would be "incorrect". I don't believe there are only certain strings to slap and certain ones to pop. I pop the A-string lots, and I'll slap the D and G string on occasion. I think as long as you use the proper slap and pop technique (hand posture, etc) then it's fine.
  5. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    There's nothing wrong with it, but depending on the sound you're looking for, it might not work.

Try it both ways and see which you like best. :cool:
  6. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I slap on all the strings and pop on all the strings. i dont see anything wrong with it if you can do it and make it sound good. but if it doesn't sound good then either work on your technique or don't do it. peace;)
  7. ]

I definitely agree with you there. If it works for you, and sounds good, then do it! I pop and slap on every string (except I dont pop in the b string)
  8. Hundreds of years ago when they were working on creating "music theroy" I hear they used to slap the b string all the time on there 8 string bass:rolleyes: :D