Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping on ABG?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by motorteipidpa, Feb 20, 2004.

1. I just recently got an ABG. I like to slap in alot of my playing but i never really heard anyone talking about slapping on an acoustic bass guitar. I dunno i just feel that i might break something or somethin haha. what do you guys think?is it alright to slap away on an AGB without any problems done to the instrument?
    thanks

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    if it sounds "good" then it's "ok".... i'd say use your judgment.

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have quite a few ABGs, and use them as my primartly instruments for solo work..and I slap quite easily on any/all of them. The sound and technique is a bit different from solid basses and mag PU's...but perfectly viable.

Listen to some Jonas Hellborg for some examples of outstanding ABG slap stuff

Max

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

...and....as to concerns for the bass: slapping is really NOT a brutal technique, not should it be, on any bass. The idea is not to beat the string into submission, but rather to produce a pronounced attack by getting the string to thwack the fret, and quickly getting the thum out of the way. Played this was there should not be any probs with the bass.

On the other hand, an ABG is more delicate than a solidbody, and if are a heavy handed player (with any technique) some ill-results may occur.

Max

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's a recording I made a couple of nights ago to test my new K&K mic/pickup combo on my 6 string ABG. The first 45 seconds, or so, I do my version of slapping to see how the mic reacts (quite well :D )

http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/tunes/solo/6stringABGtest.mp3

While I didn't use my thumb at all, you get the idea.

Traditional slapping is fun on an ABG, but I don't really do it that often since I moved to this Entwistle-like claw finger slap thing.

Like Max said, Jonas Hellborg is the man when it comes to ABG playing. He smacks the be-jeezus out of his Wechter and it sounds awesome. :hyper:

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've done it, I think it sounds bad, I don't plan on doing in the future.

7. thanks for the replies

8. Even if noe one's ever slaped on an acoustic bass guitar, that doesn't make it wrong. I'm in favor of anyone using any technique on any type of instrument, if they can do it musically.