Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping on an Alembic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dreadhead, Apr 20, 2002.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello there! I'm going to spend ALL my money to get an Alembic bass. It's a medium-scale double-omega shaped body. For the same price ($2,500.00) I could get a Stanley Clarke Signature (both are used!). I wanted to know: if the bass is in mint conditions, is it a good price? I've noticed that the neck pickup is near to the fretboard... is it a trouble for slap?
    Let me know, every help, council and info is appreciated. To see the bass I want go to
    http://www.bassexchange.com and visit the USED link!

2. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    A freind of mine in switzerland had an alembic. i think it was an orion. and i had the pleasure of playing it. i played it through a busted up 1X15. And still it sounded wonderful. The basses sound as good as they look. They are excellent not to mention very very versatile. and they are built to last. Slapping? No problem. We played alot of chilli pepper stuff on the alembic and i could get any tone i wanted...its a beauty...go for it.]
    mz

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I know that they sound very well, but if you look the one I'm interested in, you'll notice that the neck pickup could probably disturb my index ;)

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The $2,500 price on the used Stanley Clarke is a fair price. Searching harder can get you a better bass at slightly more $ or a bass without the Heart Omega cutout for slightly less. As for the Triple Omega bass, that depends. If it's a Series I or Series II, it's a very good price. If it's a Signature or Signature Deluxe, it's a darn good price. If it's made off of an Essence or something like that, you have room to work on getting the price down. You'll know if it's a Series I or Series II if it has a 5 pin plug in port next to the normal 1/4" jack port.

I've noticed that the neck pickup is near to the fretboard... is it a trouble for slap?
    Let me know, every help, council and info is appreciated. To see the bass I want go to
    http://www.bassexchange.com and visit the USED link!
    [/QUOTE]

Over the years I've owned 6 Alembics and still own two now. I've only had trouble slapping on one of them. That was the 1st one I owned, a Spoiler. These basses all have 24 fret fingerboards. If you make thumb contact at about the 21st or 22nd fret, you'll have no problem with index or middle finger plucking just beyond the end of the fretboard. If you absolutely have to thump at the end of the fretboard, your fingers are pretty likely to bounce off the pickup covers.

Hope that helps.

Peace,

James Martin

5. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Thanx a lot! This would be my first Alembic. I'm actually a Warwick devotee

:D

However, you can see the bass here:
    http://www.bassexchange.com

It's the first used bass! Let me know what do you think it is!
    About the Stanley Clarke: there are two of them: one in the USA (actually on eBay at $2,800.00) and another sold in Europe by a guy that wants about $1800.00.

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Dread, if it's the small standard 4 that you're talking about, looks like it should be fine for slapping. There's more room on that one than many other models.

I slap this one pretty often, and it's about as tight as you can get.
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/christianson10/Xush Basses_files/larg/alembic d3.JPG

if this is the one you're talking about, doesn't look like you should have a problem with it. Nice looking bass, I've seen that one before. I like the omega cut.
    [​IMG]

7. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Do you think it's worth $2,500.00 used? It doesn't show the power supply connection, and I know that it features Europa electronics.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Europa electronics are a notch below Signature electronics. You're trading off the electronics for the nifty Heart/Omega cut out. This particular bass is only the 1st or 2nd that Alembic has made with a small body and Heart / Omega. To get an idea of what is possible with Alembics, go here:

www.alembic.com

Fish around the site. In particular, check out the specs, the customs (Don't faint at the prices. They're list. Nobody pays list) and look at the Company Store.

For info on used pricing, go to eBay and see what's up for auction and look at completed sales to see what things eventually went for.

To get heads up on some Alembic basses that might be becoming available and to get technical questions answered, go here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alembicbasses2/

There are lots of knowledgeable people there that will help you in a heartbeat. Apparently you're in Italy. There are a few highly knowledgeable guys in Germany and the UK who frequent the Alembic Yahoo Bass group who might be able to point you to some available hardware.

Peace,

James Martin

9. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I tried to join the Alembic group on Yahoo, but I'm not able to complete the subscription.
    I wanna your opinion though. The guy who sells that beauty is in UK. If you want you can contact my thru my e-mail address... hope to read ya soon!:p

10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    [​IMG]

:eek:

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Has JT been spotted in the San Jose area? ;)

Peace,

James Martin

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Dreadhead,

Too bad you weren't in the market a month ago when I sold this beauty for a bit less than your target price.

[​IMG]

Peace,

James Martin

13. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Wow! It's a beaut! But you must reply to this question: do you think that the bass I want is worth $2,500.00??

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Just sent you a PM. Grab a beer and get comfy, it's a long one. :)

Peace,

James Martin

15. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I'm not able to say how much I appreciate your kindness! If I had to buy a Warwick bass, I would be one of the more informed peoples, but I really don't know Alembic basses. But I know that the ones I've seen are AMAZING!!

16. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Scuse me, this is a question for all the Alembic addicted guys: the only difference between Series I / Series II eletronics and the other ones (Europa, Essence) is the number and type of the switches?
    If it's not a matter of sound, I don't care it... I always hold my controls flat.:confused:

17. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL

That is owned by one Trip Wamsley..awesome player, even better guy. Met him down at Bass Central, really funny guy. Awesome player, too!

18. Pickups: The Series I/II has two single-coils with a "dummy humcanceller" in the middle, while the other models use regular humbuckers.

Output: The Series I/II have XLR outputs and "phantom power" boxes in addition to the 1/4", while the regular modules just have 1/4".

EQ: The Series I/II and the Signature all have separate low-pass filters for each pickup. The Series I and Sigs have a "Q switch" for each, to control how much boost and how wide a frequency (I think) the filter affects, while the Series II has a continuously sweepable "Q filter" control for each pickup. The lower-end models have simpler setups, more or less in this order: the Europa and Rogue have a single low-pass filter and a "Q switch", plus treble and bass boost/cut switches. The Essence loses the "Q switch" and the bass/treble switches. The set-neck models (Orion, Epic, Excel) usually have simple bass and treble boost/cut knobs. Of course, everything's custom at Alembic, so it's possible to order almost any model with any electronics setup.

Mike

19. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Ok! Thanx for your explanation. But what of the parts of a bass give it the name?
    I know that it's not the body shape, it's not the scale lenght and it's not the electronic part. What give the name to the bass?

20. Well, I think the really telltale thing is the construction (number and type of wood laminations, fretboard inlays, etc.), combined with the electronics. That's how I usually classify them to myelf, anyway. Of course, almost any combination of features is possible, and I suspect that even the Alembic folks aren't quite sure which "model" some of their creations are!

But these custom basses are almost always ordered by a particular person, and I expect that person goes to Alembic and says, "I want a Europa, but with a medium scale and the small heart-omega shape". That is, I expect they all start out from one particular model or another that gets some special changes, and that's the basis for whether the neck has purpleheart laminates, or the fretboad gets oval inlays, or the body has back facings as well as front, or which electronics are used. (All those things can be changed, of course, but if you order a Rogue with purpleheart neck laminates, facings on the back of the body, a long-scale Point body and Signature electronics, you may as well order a Signature....)

The first letter of serial number does indicate the model, though I think there is one letter ("C"?) that indicates a complete custom instrument that doesn't correspond to any model.

Mike