Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping on D and G string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jahsekou, Jun 6, 2005.

1. I own somewhat of a lower end bass, Squier J- Bass to be exact.

The bass itself has nice tone, but I have never learned the technique for slapping on the higher pitched strings. Maybe this is a question of pickups or maybe I tryin to hard to be like Abe Laboriel :meh:

any bass virtuosos out there that can help?

2. Wouldn't exactly call myself a virtuoso, but maybe this will help: Although everybodies technique varies slightly, I have learned that there are 2 types of slappers out there....the "Flea's" and the "Claypools".
    Claypool style is most common, which is slapping with your thumb parallel to the desired string and your wrist being mostly below the string you're hitting.
    Flea style (the way I do it) is more of the neanderthal way of going about it. Its done by keeping your wrist above at an upward angle with your thumb going more across the string.
    Both are equally affective, however getting a meaty, noticeable tone out of your D and G strings will have more to do with your tone then your actual technique. I haven't the foggiest idea as to what your rig is, but try boosting your midrange a little and cutting back on your treble just a tad. Also, try moving your contact point toward the pickups a little more. And be patient with it. The only real trick that I know to slapping lighter strings and still getting a full tone is by using the meat of your thumb a little more, which will help give it a little more thud. Remember, the string is smaller so dont be afraid to compensate your lack of presence by slapping it a little harder. Just make sure you control the strenght of your pop, or you will be breaking G strings like an overweight stripper. Hope I could help. :bassist:

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Trying to be like Abe? Not a bad thing!!

I am assuming that you are talking about slapping(with your thumb) and not popping(with your index finger) these upper strings.....
    Slapping the higher strings is more difficult for several reasons: #1-your slapping a bit out of your "normal" position. #2- the strings are smaller so you have to me more accurate #3- and maybe the most dramatic is the higher notes have a shorter "wavelength", the whole sounding process happens more quickly which makes them less "slap friendly".

Fresh strings here are a big help, also your bass can have alot to do with it. Something you can do to get your confidence in your bass going is try "tapping" the D string sharply with your index or middle finger right above the last fret, if striking the bass in this manner produces a decent slap sound then you are in business. Try concentrating on getting off the string as quickly as possible, the amount of time your thumb actually contacts the string is more important than how hard you hit it. I like to use the analogy of "pulling the sound out the string". To do this effectively a good loose rotation of the wrist is key so practice your "hang-loose" sign and you will have it in know time!!

4. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    ...priceless

L.E.T