Slapping on fretless!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CJY, May 7, 2001.

1. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Hi.I know many people think that slapping and tapping on a fretless is unadvisable,but i think that it has big potentials.My setup is a BBN4F fretless w/coated fingerboard thru a Sansamp acoustic DI and Zoom BFX-708 into a small Johnson amp.I have a lot of fun slapping growling and slinky bass lines. The sound is like Jaco meets Les Claypool.My intention is never to rip people off,but to create new sounds and my own style.Try it!for inspiration,listen to Michael manring(although his stuff is impossible to play)
  2. AMEN BROTHER! as fellow fretless slapper, i think its great that we're not alone. i have a fender fretless Jazz Bass with Tapewound strings, and with the tone turned down on the bass and a cut in bass and boost on the highs in the amp i get a very funky, subtle sound. the bass is almost percussive and the highs have a great attack, and seem to float over the band. funny u mention Les Claypool, b/c he plays almost entirely on a fretless 6-string.
  3. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Thanks, Stinkeister!Actually,i thought Les 'retired' his fretless 6.Is he still using it?But i am not really sure what taperwound strings are. I use a set of GHS .100 - .40 nickel roundwounds.My coated fingerboard seem to be able to withstand 'the grind'.But i must say the Sansamp really thickens the the Yamaha's growl.Here's to all the fearless fretless slappers!
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the last two days i've been re-recording one of our songs, one of the last ones i need to do, where i play slapped freltess 7 string for about 9 minutes :eek: what a pain in the butt. still, though, i like the sound - lane poors and a gloss fingerboard gives me a good deal of snap, and very growly for a slap sound.
  5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Wooph! How's the finish on the 'board holding up?
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no too bad - i've only had any of my fretless 7's refinished once from finish wear. bill uses a super-glue-like finish that's really hard, holds up well.
  7. Check out Kermit Driscoll's fretless slap work on this live Bill Frisell album.

8. I never understood the whole "you can't slap on fretless" idea.

As a matter of fact, I've never understood why anyone has said "you can't do [insert whatever] on a fretless".

Yeah, it sounds different. I like it better. Different is good.

Of course, I've noticed a serious increase in the number of fretless players in the last couple of years. Maybe that attitude is starting to change.

9. once again, i say amen. expounding on FF idea, i hate when anyone says anything like you can't do [put thing that you do "wrong" here] that on [your instrument of choice]. playing music is all about feel. i bet 8 billiion people told Jimi he "can't" play the root notes of chords with his thumb, but it made him all the better. and i bet it felt great to him. so until it feels wrong, i'm keepin on with it.
  10. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Probably the reason why 'they' say that u can't slap on a fretless is that u can't get a punchy sound like on a fretted.People are used to hearing that Larry Graham/Flea sound. I think it's about time that we try to play and sound differently from
    what most people are doing.Isn't this how originals like Jaco and Hendrix r born?
  11. slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    not being a total jerk or anything but Claypool went back to the 4 string Thompson he always uses....i cant blame him man...6 stringer fretless would be tough......
  12. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    norwood fisher from fishbone slap's his fretless thumb bass silly.