Slapping P-bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Are P-basses suppost to be good for slapping?
  2. Not generally, but I kind of like the sound. Some people like it, some don't. Anyways, some of the first slap recordings were done on P's. Its just another "it's what you like" thing.
  3. Its very "raw" sounding. Not the claypool/miller sound you think of with slapping. I like it, actually.
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Some P enthusiasts who are looking for a bit more "bite" add a singlecoil in the bridge to get a better slap tone for the few times a night they might need it on a gig, etc. Of course, soloing the bridge singlecoil and/or mixing the two is also great as well. ;)
  5. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Larry used one for a long time

Check out Kingchin next to him and his sweet Mossberg, I'd like to play either :)
    No wisecracks, yes the vintage P or 12ga.
  6. Where did you get that poster? Thats awesome!
  7. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Some guy named Sosa on ebay. I think he owns a record shop. Really cool dude. Good luck finding anymore, it was from a phase when I woud type Graham poster, Bootsy poster, Clarke poster & Sly poster every single day. ;)
  8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Yep! That's the ticket. I got a Mike Lull P5 with the optional J pickup (thanks JAY!), and it wonderful for slapping. I've been using the P pickup dialed all the way up, and the J side dialed in "just a little", and getting excellent classic Larry Graham-type sounds. Definitely captures the Sly-type slappin' sound. Excellent vintage slap.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    We don't need no stinking bridge pickup.
  10. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    BINGO! That sounds like the ticket to me. :smug: :bassist:
  11. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    IMHO I think that P's are excellent slappers. It sounds really cool and one awsome thing about them is that you can use teh control switch (the one other than volume) to control the "funk" as it's been called so many times at my home church.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

13. victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    I've got a Stingray5 and I've owned a Sterling and A Stingray4 and to me my MIA P-Bass has the best slap tone of them all!
  14. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I played the Bangor Maine Folk Festival this weekend with Pinetop Perkins and Henry Butler's band followed us. His bass player played precision and slapped ala Victor Wooten. No lack of top end there (he got most of if from the amp).
  15. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    My first bass was a p-bass and didnt do much slap on it, cos never had much technique at that age in time.. (cos was just learning), but now playing back on it and slapping, it makes a horrible pop crackle noise, when i slap it.. cos it hits them metal coils on the top of the pickups..

and when i lowered it, it just lost all action..

p basses.. argh!
  16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    After nearly thirty years of bass playing, I finally picked up a P-bass. The first thing I played once I got it home and tuned up was "For-get-me-nots" by Patrice Rushen with "Ready" Freddy Washington on bass. There is nothing like that old school vintage tone. It's especially cool for older guys like me who remember when that sound was new and fresh. :cool: :bassist: :hyper:
  17. Very cool. The wider neck allows for comfort while slapping. The sound is middy and very strong. I like it, although it doesn't suit everyone. The Jazz slap tone is the one that often springs to mind, but the P is a nice alternative that really sounds funky and powerful.
  18. A P-Bass isnt really made for slappin. If you wanna slap, buy a jazz bass.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Electric bass slapping didn't exist when either the P or J were first made. So no older Fender was made for slapping. Larry Graham just came along and slapped his P anyway. :bassist:
  20. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Listen to "Forget Me nots" by Patrice Rushen. Freddy Washington uses a sunburst P with a maple board.