Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping/popping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fieldy_snuts, Jul 13, 2005.

1. fieldy_snuts

fieldy_snuts

Jul 13, 2005
    HI! i'm new here. but i've been playing bass for a little more than a year. anyways, i wouldn't say i was a beginer, nor really good. i usually play rock...metal...anything sounds good. but at the moment i've listened to some solo's from larry graham, and i've always been a HUGE fan or fieldy from korn, and other such bassest (flea, primus). and i've become completely obsessed with slapping. i'm really intrested in learnign the correct manner in slapping, but can't figure it out... i guess i can get around the area of doign it right. but i'd like to know how to do it correctly. any one that can help me here by giving me detailed explanation, or a video or something, anything that can help me with slapping and popping would be greatly appriciated. another question, how do you pop fast, such as popping tripplets, at a high tempo ? i use guitar pro, to try to help me get better. but i just need a clear explanation on how to slap. sorry for the long post. again all replies are greatly appriciated! thanks.-takes a deep breathe of air-.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The style you call slap is better known as thump and pop (or pluck) as Larry Graham would say. There has been a lot of imatators of this style, some of them real hacks. If you want to learn this style of playing you must listen to funk music from the 70's. You have to understand the concept before you can become proficiant at the style. Forget Flea, block Fieldy out of your mind completely and get videos with Larry Graham, Louis Johnson even Mark King from level 42. The style is to be played from the pocket and that takes a lot of practice. There are lots of video's on the market for this style, get a couple and practice, practice, practice!

3. fieldy_snuts

fieldy_snuts

Jul 13, 2005
    Right. i don't expect to just pick up a bass and play like them. Anyways i listen to alot of music where they use the thumping and popping. uumm, what i need to know is like...the correct way for your thumb to hit the string, so that it gives it the slap sound, while also not hitting it's neighboring string giving it that bad sound. I'm kind of broke right now, so i can't buy an video's but i can dowload. do you reccomend any video's you know is able to be downloading? I've had a instructional video by Larry where he explaid the slapping, and went all the way to that....what's it called double slap or something where your thumb hits the string once when going down, and then again going up...giving it a sounds similar to a trian. but i still couldn't figure out the correct way to do it. well thanks for your reply, and any others in advance!

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    You have to understand the concept before you can become proficiant at the style. Forget Flea, block Fieldy out of your mind completely and get videos with Larry Graham, Louis Johnson even Mark King from level 42. The style is to be played from the pocket and that takes a lot of practice. There are lots of video's on the market for this style, get a couple and practice, practice, practice!

+1. Great advice. The funkiest slap is when there is space in between the slaps and pops.