Slapping problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Only, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've been slap-popping a lot lately, and I'm having trouble on my Ibanez Ergodyne 605B. The only string that slaps well at all is the B. Whenever I try to slap on E or A, I get this weird harmonic-sounding ringing. The D and G pop perfectly, and all the strings sound fine when I play fingerstyle.

Is there anyone else who's had a similar problem? Any easy fix, or do I need to adjust my technique?

2. i have the same problem or i just hit the e string when i go for the a string when i slap
  3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    try slapping closer to the bridge, less harmonics. I usualle slap between the end of the fret board and the neck pick up, never have anymore harmonics.
  4. Are you slapping over the harmonic point at the 24th fret position? That might introduce some harmonics. Trying moving where you slap as suggested. Alternatively try a more brushing stroke with your thumb instead of a bouncing movement.
  5. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Are you sure your palm isn't catching on the string near the bridge? i was trying to show a mate how to slap a while back and thats what he kept doing.