Slapping rapidly and consistently...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jeff2287, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Hello. I've been curious about how certain players can slap as quickly as some guitarist can trem-pick. How exactly are they slapping the strings? I was taught the method of slapping a string straight from above and letting my thumb bounce off. I've seen videos of players doing it differently and slapping really quickly. The two players whose videos I saw were Otiel Burbridge and Bill Dickens. What are their slapping techniques? How do they slap so quickly?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's called double-thumbing, you basically modify your slap motion to resemble alternate picking (like on a guitar).

Instead of letting your thumb bounce off the string, you "go through" the string, stop at the next one, and then move back up.

Victor Wooten, Adam Nitti, Ray Riendeau, Marcus Miller and lots of others use that technique too.
  3. Don't forget the left hand stuff too ... hammer-on, pull-off, slide, all going on in between right-hand thumps.

One of my favorite licks is a pop, hammer-on, pull-off, pull-off. Four 16th notes, with just one right-hand motion.