Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping Songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Jun 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Anyone know any songs with slapping that isn't too hard?
    Only thing i've been able to find is RHCP's Love ROllercoaster which is crap.

2. I have never heard the RHCP's version but the original is not crap. What kind of songs are you trying to play? RHCP slap, KORN slap, Early Funk slap?

3. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Any, something to show off to people. A lot of kids at my High School Pplay bass, but they think its all about playing root notes, I wanna show my friends that I can do alot more.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You know, I know people who want to show off....because they've put a lot of time in at something and have learned a lot, developed something worth showing off. I've never heard of someone who was so lazy that they needed someone to tell them how to show off.

Learn to play something that impresses you :rolleyes:

5. Learning how to groove on just the Root notes is a skill in itself.

I suggest you find some info on The Meters, The Bar-Kays and after that Sly and the Family Stone.

If you can groove the Root like those guys you will be sure to impress.

6. hey man i was just replyin to your message about slappin. i started learnin on RHCP songs like "higher ground", "behind the sun", "give it away", and some other older RHCP songs, the older ones are mostly slapping so start diggin around through those trust me it helps a ton.

7. wynnguitars

wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    fl
    slap on! try putting some octaves together with some hammerons and pulloffs,see what you come up with.

p p

---------5-----7-------G
    x------------------------ D
    ----3-----5------------ A
    s s
    -----------------------E

8. Primus is fun to play, but I wouldn't say it's easy, a lot of it's pretty hard. It's also a pretty distinct sound, it's slapping, but it isn't like RHCP, or Larry Graham or anything. But, it is impressive, if you can do it. Although, like Pacman said, do something to impress yourself, not others.

9. hey wynnguitar you seem like a tight dude man keep tellin it like it is to these wannabes and play what you want how you want and don't let any one stop you......rock on.

10. You know, as annoying as you can be sometimes, I have lots of fun watching you make a fool of yourself and then getting torn up by people who know what they're talking about. I'm looking forward to watching it happen again.

11. hey ulyanov you seem like a straight up person who seems pretty good i think i see what you mean about wynnguitar. he does need to ease up on puttin down people but i do respect him for speakin what he believes but anyways both of ya'll rock on....

12. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Just a question, do you all think slap bass sounds better on a fretted bass or a fretless?

13. traveler whatever you feel sounds better and shows something to people that lets them know it is you when they hear it, it is better. plus it all depends on how you slap and how fast and your settings are......rock on.

14. wynnguitars

wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    fl
    Thankyou sir for the respect I ain't here to criticize or hurt anybody's feelings I've been getting bashed since the first day I came onboard.I'm jus here to help.

15. hey man no problem i saw that and realized you were just speakin your mind and standin up for what you feel is right. that's awesome and i respect you for that. dont let what anyone tells you bring you down or discourage you. in the end you'll be the one on top. rock on.

16. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    WIMPBITCARS

Yes, I teach, and when I do, I am one of those teachers who teaches according to my plan. Funny thing about teaching. You know more than the student, and have a grasp on how to help the student progress. If you're the type of teacher who teaches what your students want to learn, instead of what they need to learn, you're doing them a disservice.

Example, if you came to me for lessons and wanted to learn the modes and their applications, but didn't understand the major scale, or chord construction, it wouldn't help you. It would be my responsibility to guide you through the major scale first. Same with Sascrotch's situation. He wants to learn to "show off", but doesn't really understand nailing down a groove, and doesn't seem to be too aware of the lexicon of music out there. I can't advise him on how to show off until he can do the basics.

With your advice about teaching and fun, you're not really helping your correspondance course sales, are you? I'd be more impressed if I saw a clue that you knew what you're talking about (which you quite obviously don't).

17. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    hm. could it be that they are the same person?
    well, that would be really lame.
    which would fit.

on topic:

i agree to pacman. don't show off and especially do
    not learn something just to show off.
    learn something to broaden (sp?) your horizon and to become a better bassist.

18. wynnguitars

wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    fl
    "Hello I am big bad teacher boy your gonna do it my way or else..." hmmmm sound familiar pac?Funny I agree with what your saying on one hand but on the other if it ain't fun it SUCKS.I bet I could talk to some of your students that walked away because you did IT YOUR WAY,sure we know more than they do but we have to keep interesting.I teach rhythm also,put on a drum beat and play guitar behind them so they grasp the concept of where things fit together.Its about the whole picture bro not about us being bass players but we should enjoy doing it! One more thing whenever your ready to quit the kiddie name calling we coulld call a truce and be friends.It sucks I have to come on this site and defend myself,I'm just tryin to help.Peace.

19. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

Me?!? Quit the kiddie name calling?!?! who the f**k do you think you're fooling, troll? I think everyone could page up once or twice and see you say something childish about mommy. I've treated you with far more respect than you deserve and far more than you've shown others here. Don't bring that "stop calling me names" crap this way, dude, cause it won't fly. And no, we're never going to be friends, or bros, or anything else untill you get your sh*t straight, and act like an adult.

you're not trying to help, as so many have pointed out to you so far, you're spamming this website to try to hawk your "lessons". Hopefully, nobody's buying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.