Slapping Technique On a Benavente namm vid

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lewibassist, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Hiya on one of the benavente namm vids on the benevente website there is a man doing some werid slapping . The video title is "Eric" he is doing some realy fast slapping.It looks like his right hand is opening all the the time at one point is he doing some kind of struming mixed in with some pop's. I dont know how to explain this. Does this type of speed just come with practice or is it a specific technique. Hope you can help me.

2. carlos

Apr 4, 2004
    The guy wasn't doing slap tapping was he?

I was shown a few slap techniques over the last year and one involved holding your right hand at about 45 degrees to the strings and kind of slapping with the tip of each finger apart from the little finger in patterns of five. Sounds really cool and its fast!
  3. Thanks for the reply. What you described sounds like what he was doin . Here is the link for the webpage Benavente Namm vids The vid im asking about is titled eric. That technique u described , is there any lessons out there describing this technique.

Cheers Lewis
  4. Baseman

Mar 31, 2004
    Eric was tapping at the beginning, but then started doing some double-thumbing toward the end.
  5. actually it looks to me that hes is also double thumbing, but in addition hes actually using his 1st, 2nd and 3rd finger as quick pops. If you watch hes striking w/ his thumb followed by his first three fingers moving in a rolling patten. His open handed technique is a little decieving in that he triple plucking w/ those fingers first then thumbing. Thats why your hearing all those plinks and thunks.
    Lastly, hes got a very fast, thumb, hammer-on thing goin on - so hes well practiced.
    if you want to see some cool slapping check out Doug Wimbish's video, hes lays down this neat part where he is defintely slap/tapping the strings and sliding chords. he only does it for a few sec but its a different sound
  6. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah Doug does some cool stuff, it's actually notes, instead of a bunch of fast clicks.
  7. Antonio

Jul 8, 2004
    How can you learn this type of stuff? Are there books?
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  9. Antonio- you learn these techniques by watching those videos, listening and gettin an idea of how to play it mechanically.
    Most musicians that have a sound in their head come up w/ a technique to get that sound.
  10. Antonio

Jul 8, 2004
    I hear you frank, it's definately a thing you have to work at. I downloaded those videos and watched them but it's hard to really make out whats going on cause it's so fast. With one guy I heard the open E string getting slapped but never saw a thumb, or left hand near it. It's like trying to mimic Jacco from his video, you'd have to slow it down to two frames per minute or something just to catch what he's doing. I keep trying though :meh:

11. its hard to describe what he is doing

Using his fretting hand as a mute to get a rolling triplet effect.. orignally (as far as i know) pioneered by Mark King and you can hear it really well on Love Games - Level 42

its an easy technique and I use to lots for doing drum and snare esq rhythms along side a drummer...great fun for rhythmic changing..

He is then doing double thumbin with his plucking hand..a hard technique that i find hard to do cause i have never been shown how to..if i were shown i could do it.. i have my own way..thats to use my three fingers on my plucking hand like a Flamenco guitar and i can get fast triplets...

What does this prove....

Its a technique....

Is it useful in everyday playing

Nope...not really not for long periods of times..!!!
  12. Antonio

Jul 8, 2004

Just to add, I find it gets tirring to listen too as well. Too much happening, it's like flight of the bumble bees on stereoids. It's one of the reasons I can only listen to the Flecktones for no more than a halfhour without getting dizzy. But I still wish I could DO it. :rolleyes: