slapping technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rafterman, Feb 5, 2001.

1. i'm a beginner many of you guys learned just by messing around with slapping away and not caring, but eventually got good at it, if you did it that way, how long did it take you???

if you learned by watching a video or had formal lessons, then i don't care......

and my 2nd do you guys slap? you pop the G and D strings and slap the E and A strings with your thumb? slap only the E string with my that bad? tell me how you guys play.
  2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Hey whats up Rafterman? I did not learn from books or videos when i started slapping. The first thing I figured out was slapping the open E and plucking the ocatve. Then from there I started working my way down the neck 1 fret at a time. I also started to practice slapping the E,A,D,and G strings seperatly with my thumb. After a month or so I was playing songs like Higher Ground, Chili Peppers style. At about this time I bought a video on techniqe and it opened up a whole new world. There are alot of good habits and exercises that can be learned from books and videos , you might give one a try.

keep jamming dude.
  3. MuNkEy

Jul 4, 2000
    utica, ny
    i didnt use any books or video's...i learned by watching. i saw victor wooten in concert once and i picked up on his style, went home, and kept practicing for a couple of months until i had it down.
  4. MuNkEy

Jul 4, 2000
    utica, ny
    sorry i forgot your second question. i slap all of the strings with my thumb-using the double thumb technique. if you slap the e-string, go through it, then rest on the a, then come back up. you can go twice as fast. i also pluck all of the just depends on where my hand is at the time.
  5. I agree with munkey, learn the double thumping technique. Even if you have no plans to slap fast (this technique is mainly used as a fast-slap techniqe), this technique is just as good as the "bouncing off" method, and is more easily practiced to get accurite. Of course, this is just IMO. Having used both methods (and not being aware of any others except left hand slapping), I'd say I like double thumping verymuch.
  6. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i was just on victor wooten's homepage and he has a couple of good lessons there