slapping technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by btbassist, May 29, 2004.

1. can anyone tell me how to slap? I've read all of these lessons online, but i still don't get it. :help:
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Go to and find the lesson page. Read and watch lessons 5 and 6.
  3. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Slapping really just takes a lot of practice. When I first started, all I really did was octaves. But once you get the certain feel for it, it really becomes a lot easier. Thats how I found it to be at least.
  4. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You need to change your link. I believe the word "Hope" was supposed to be in the second sentence.
  6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Here is a lesson that I wrote for Bass Frontiers Magazine. It is a really great exercise to develop slap technique.

the lesson is called 5 minutes to slap technique

Mike Dimin
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like the triple stop at the end.
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks. Although I wrote that slap article, my main focus has been chords, chord, melody, solo bass arrangements, etc -I just had to throw that in

9. ondray

Jun 3, 2004

This is my first post and I hope that my experience in slapping would benefit you.

I have just learned how to slap and pop last month. Just started my bass guitar lessons and the teacher has been really great.

I was doing my own kind of slap before I had the lessons where my thumb was parellel to the strings and I hit the strings with the thumb joint.

According to my teacher, that is kind of new skool. So he thought me the old school ways so that I can choose which one I am more comfortable with.

Finally, I have decided to go with the old skool technique of slapping.

1. Thumb points to your left shoulder ( If you pluck with your right hand)

2. Make sure yout thumb is straight and bend it over to the back as much as possible (if you are not double jointed, it will be harder but it's not a must. Just make sure your thumb is straighten)

3. I choose to slap the end part of my bass neckboard cause it sounds more full there. When you attack the string with your straighten thumb, make sure it points to your left shoulder at all times.

4. Once you slap the string, quickly lift it back up so you can hear the sustained note. It's more of a wrist action.

5. When I started slapping, I was hitting both the A string when I slapped the E string and vice versa. It's annoying but after persistent practises, i am getting more precision. Some people will tend to overlook this and concentrate on the fretting hand to deaden the unwanted sound from the other strings. But i have chosen precision instead because it helps a lot if you want to learn harder slap pop combos.

6. Some people choose to slap through the strings instead of bouncing back up after a slap. I slap through only on the D and G strings to get a clearer tone. Instead on lifting your thumb after hitting the strings, you kind of follow through to the string below (not necessarily touching the string below)

7. Finally, for precision when beginning how to slap the E and A strings, the best thing is to sit in front of the telly and continuously slap on the E or A strings. You can mute it with your fretting hands or do it on open strings, just keep doing it till you don't have to look at the thumb. Within a week, you will realise that it's like second nature.

Have fun! I know I did.

And finally, check out this website if you are still in doubt I I was and it helped me quite a lot)

10. Well, for what it's worth Andre, while reading your post I found myself doing a lot of head-nodding. Probably because that's how I do it.
    I've been slapping for a good fifteen years now and I just spent ages practicing until I was happy with the sound and the comfort.
    The way you described is pretty much exactly the same.
  11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    One more thing - all the technique in the world is great but you need to develop the muscle memory to make it fluid. My drumstick exercise is truly wonderful in helping to develop the muscle memory - I really suggest that you try it

12. Yeah Mike, I couldn't agree more! :)

That's sort of what I meant when I said "comfort." I practiced the technique until I found that I could flow comfortably from one part of the neck to another and between strings without having to concentrate on where my hands were too much.

Slightly off topic but it came into my mind just now is that I have become much more confident in my ability to put my hands where they need to be since I started practicing on my fretless. Then when I pick up my fretted P Bass, it's seems so easy. Could just be me though :eyebrow: Heh, not everyone has access to a fretless though.

[/ramble] :p