Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by friedpenguin, Mar 13, 2005.

1. friedpenguin

friedpenguin

Mar 6, 2005
    alright, I need some help with the slapping technique. Whenever I perform a slap, the string hits the frets, which is not a nice sound. If I hold back, there's no sound at all. What can I do to help these problems

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The string hitting the frets is common. First off, make sure your bass is "slappable", not all basses are. This has to do with the quality, type and set-up(including strings) of the bass. Have someone who you know can really slap try it on your bass. If the bass is found to be "slappable" then you have technique issues. Keep in mind you may be suffering from a combination of both Unfunky Bass and Crappy Technique. Proper slapping technique requires visual aids so go out and get a teacher or a good video..

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Strings hitting the frets is normal. That's how you get the snappy sound. What you want to avoid is hitting the pickups with the strings.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Maybe you should check out the Technique forum?

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

5. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    Hmm personally I prefer the click that the bass produces when you slap it against the fretboard. However, it can be overcome

*Try slapping a bit nearer the pickups
    *Make a deliberate effort to 'bounce' your thumb off the string as much as you can. Try letting your thumb approach slowly and hitting it/pulling it away quickly