1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slapping techniques and increasing speed?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matt Dead, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Matt Dead

Matt Dead

Jan 20, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Does anyone have some tips for me to practice slapping and speed? I can't slap at all, and some riffs I have seen on youtube sound amazing. Could anyone give me some tabs to practice, some tips on slapping, what I should know?

2. Use the search function this has been asked many times

3. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

And I've been reading here on TB that slapping is dead. I've been slapping since the 70s and will continue to until my untimely death. ;)

Speed will come with practice...just play what you feel and feel what you play.

4. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    as far as songs go...try simple octaves. slap the open E, pop the octave E (2nd fret D string) and try different patterns with it. See if you can move up and down the neck, just simple patterns like that. That's how I started out.

5. Matt Dead

Matt Dead

Jan 20, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Alright thanks, I will give it a shot.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i highly recommend the book slap it by tony oppenheim. he's got some great exercises to get you familiar with slapping, and takes you from the easiest to the hardest. i also recommend going on youtube and searching out larry graham's video where he shows you his slap technique.

as for speed, how will you get speed if you don't even know how to do it yet? learn the basics and don't put pressure on yourself to be speedy with it. that's running before you can crawl.

7. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    That' s a great book. I just picked up mine couple of weeks ago. It helps. I don' t know other slapping book that' s better than this.

Fred