Slapping the G-string and getting a good sound.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ace123, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    OK i'm trying to learn classical thump right now and i'm having a problem slapping the G-string. I can slap all of the other strings fine, but when i slap the G it gets sort of a harmonic type noise and i'm not getting a real good slap on it. am i doing it wrong? is there special way to slap the G? I think the problem is that i'm not getting a real good slap on the right part of my thumb. It feels like quite reach to slap the G. I"m going to be gone for two weeks so i'm sorry i can't answer any questions if you have them, but please respond and i'll answer any questions you guys have for me when i get back. THank you
  2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    i assuming that when you slap your thumb hits the string above the fretboard and not above the pickups...if not, then that might be a solution
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When i slap E and A, my thumb is facing downwards. When i slap D and G, it is facing upwards. Which way are you trying to slap it?
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I dont know if this works for anyone else but...

...try hitting the string at 90 degrees, straight on. It works for me and i get a decent sound. Not the best but it works for me.