1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slapping the G-string and getting a good sound.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ace123, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    OK i'm trying to learn classical thump right now and i'm having a problem slapping the G-string. I can slap all of the other strings fine, but when i slap the G it gets sort of a harmonic type noise and i'm not getting a real good slap on it. am i doing it wrong? is there special way to slap the G? I think the problem is that i'm not getting a real good slap on the right part of my thumb. It feels like quite reach to slap the G. I"m going to be gone for two weeks so i'm sorry i can't answer any questions if you have them, but please respond and i'll answer any questions you guys have for me when i get back. THank you

2. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i assuming that when you slap your thumb hits the string above the fretboard and not above the pickups...if not, then that might be a solution

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When i slap E and A, my thumb is facing downwards. When i slap D and G, it is facing upwards. Which way are you trying to slap it?

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I dont know if this works for anyone else but...

...try hitting the string at 90 degrees, straight on. It works for me and i get a decent sound. Not the best but it works for me.