Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping the high strings?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cool dude todd, Dec 18, 2002.

1. ok heres my story, i can slap the E and the A string and the D string is about the same but the G sounds horrible to me:( is there a different way to slap the higher strings or is it just one of those "practise" things?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah...practice and new strings.

Also, try to slap a little farther away from the fingerboard ( aka Marcus Miller-style). This gives a meatier, fuller sound.

3. i thought it was "bad" to slap lower then the last fret, i love it :D and it does work better that way! thanks:p

4. A really nice trick when slapping the D and G (and C in my case) is to strike the note an octave above the fretted note (i.e. 15th fret if you're frettin third). It creates a harmonic overtone an octave above the fretted note, which sounds good. Other than that, slap the note nearer the bridge - it sounds more focused

5. I tend to slap AT the bridge for most of my slapping...

I find it hard to get a solid sound off the G, so I'm trying to mix slapping & popping.. :)

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Marcus slaps at the end of the fingerboard.

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Eh, no?

He rests his hand on the pickup cover, so his thumb hits the string between neck pickup and fingerboard (most of the time).

Evidence:

[​IMG]

courtesy of www.marcusmiller.com

8. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Marcus slaps wherever the hell he damn wells wants ta!

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  10. i slap the d and g together, with the side of my thumb, sometimes to do chords. i do that at the base of the neck. i rarely slap the g alone; i'm not sure where i'd do it if i did. probably somewhere the last couple frets and my pickup.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Why not post a picture of when his thumb is actually hitting the string? Like thus:

[​IMG]

Marcus, in interviews, has actually talked about hitting the string right at the end of the fingerboard.

12. Thumbz

Thumbz Guest

Slapping the D & Gstrings will always sound a bit light.... they are lighter strings!

The Octave slap tech described before is a great way to get around this problem, but is bloody awkward to do in a fast slap line.

Stick to the percussive nature of the style... treat the bass like a drum kit... Maybe Claypool isn't the most perfect example, but listen to his stuff...

In the mean time, try new strings and use a product such as "fast fret" to keep the string tone bright.

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  14. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  15. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany