1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

slapping the p-bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LukeS, Dec 22, 2011.

1. LukeS

LukeS

Sep 10, 2009
    New York, NY
    I'm trying to work on my slap chops... should I get a jbass or should I be able to get a good sound from a pbass?

2. As a beginning slapper, in my experience, it was easier to get a good useable slap tone from a J Bass than a P Bass.

Someday, it won't matter. I can slap on just about anything now. But at first, it helps to have a bass that produces that tone a little more readily.

You will also find that string choice and the set-up have a big impact on how easily you can produce a good slap tone. It's not just which bass you choose.

IMHO, IME, YMMV

3. bassalo

bassalo

Jan 23, 2008
    CT
    Does not matter. Tony Oppenheim recorded all the tracks on 'Slap It!' with a Precision. Many bassists slap a P. what matters is what works for you.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I actually prefer the sound of a slapped P over the sound of a slapped J.

5. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I used to think the same, but after playing for 20+ years, I am just now realizing you can get some great slap tone with a P. IMO, strings will give you more tone than the bass itself. (flat wound vs round wound)

6. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Slap that P! The jazz sounds great obviously, but music the world over is saturated with it. (honestly I play both). Don't forget, technique goes along way.

7. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    +1 to this. And many others slapped a P . I actually prefer a P/J for slap tone:)

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Some classic slapped Precision bass recordings...

"Forget Me Nots" by Patrice Rushen
    "Brickhouse" by The Commodores
    "Lowdown" by Boz Skaggs

jte

9. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
  10. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    The best slap tone I ever heard (rich, full, thunderous, but with great "pop") was a P Bass with 10 year old flats.

The P is easier to slap, and (to me) sounds better doing it.