Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping tripples

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rusmannx, Jul 16, 2001.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i can't get mine to sound like tripples, they sound like a gallop. i'm using a slap slap pull tech that a kid taught me he said he got from watching flea in a video. any suggestions on what to do here, or am i just doomed with piss poor timeing?

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Thumb, Slap, pull

jc

3. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    what's the difference between thumb and slap? i slap with my thumb :confused:

4. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i slap with my thumb too. i just want to get faster

5. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I have to tell you that my slap technique is not conventional. I play more or less with my fingers pointing down twards the floor. Most of my stylings come from the upright bass. I move my hand in a circular motion starting with the thumb, smacking the string with a finger and pulling. I have never watched Flea play really.

jc

6. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    oh i think i know what you mean. you sort of slap by just hitting the string down hard with your finger? i play that way sometimes on hard rock songs to get a nice grungy sound, but i don't really consider it slapping. it doesn't sound as punchy or as loud as smackin that string with your thumb! :D

7. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Actually, Flea's slap technique is also noted for his keeping the frigners pointed down.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
  9. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Yes, for me the smacking of one or two fingers down (three on the URB) is one third of it. At the same time you are hooking the string somehow getting the grap for the pop!

I know this is just how i do it. Talk about punchy. Did you ever here how it sounds on an upright when the whole palm hits a nice hollow part of the fingerboard?

jc

10. The left hand can be very useful for slapping (if you're right-handed;)). Triplets can be achieved in many different ways, but here's a favorite of mine that I use all the time.

Slap the open E.
    Left-hand slap the E string, but just make a percussive sound. Don't try to hit the "note"
    Pop the muted G string.

They are useful as percussive "flams". Marcus Miller does this kind of thing alot.