slapping under the fingerboard

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by oinils, Mar 28, 2008.

1. oinils

oinils

Jan 3, 2008
    Belgium
    is it bad if you just slap under youre fingerboard ?
    just hook up your finger under the string under the fingerboard pull it and let it slap ?

2. I'm not a big-time slapper ..... But if you mean .... grabbing the string BETWEEN the FB and the string and pulling up ... getting the click/slap followed by the note .... then what you describe sounds right to me. If you want a "double slap" you would follow that motion by whacking the strings down onto the FB before you start the cycle again. Does that help you at all?

3. oinils

oinils

Jan 3, 2008
    Belgium
    no i said it not right what i mean is that you hook your finger up under the string like normal but you got your string youre finger and than your fingerboard but what i mean is that you hook your finger under the string but the fingerboard isnt there the finger board is 1 cm above you

4. sXeMike

sXeMike

Jan 22, 2007
    Scottsville, Va
    You can play with a really low action and still slap if you play below the fingerboard.....between the bridge and fingerboard.

Just don't go too close to the bridge and try to slap.

5. be careful with that technique, I think that's how Geoff Firebaugh dislocated a finger. He got it caught between the string and the end of the fingerboard.

6. sXeMike

sXeMike

Jan 22, 2007
    Scottsville, Va
    amateur mistake....

If Geoff dislocated his finger, I would probably break my arm.

I don't play like that. I saw a video of a Japanese guy slapping the hell out of a bass with really low action using that technique. The action could have been more than 3 or 4mm

7. I sometimes do that if i'm slapping high on the G string. As you go up the neck the action where your plucking hand is gets lower so I just started doing it naturally. I've never had any problems but I don't do it all the time. It's probably ok if you're not pulling the hell out of the string.

8. airtime323

airtime323

May 25, 2008
    Hi this is a easy way to double/treble slap,it sounds fab, but this will hurt ya fingers if played for long times

9. oinils

oinils

Jan 3, 2008
    Belgium
    ok thanks
    the guy from batomobile he cut's a piece off his fingerboard about 10 cm and slaps always under his fingerboard

10. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I don't know why you would want to pull from under the strings like that. It slows you down and can rip up your fingers. I can't imagine any advantage in tone.

11. stz

stz

Nov 9, 2006
    Derby, UK
    During a set where I was developing a bit of a blister I made the mistake of grabbing too low and hooking my fingers directly under the string. Pulled the blister off!

12. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I saw Mick from the Deadcats do this every now and then.

I'm no pro, but I don't.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021