Slapping up the neck...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lovebown, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    I noticed something quite interesting today when i was slapping on my bass.
    Usually I slap at the end of the fret board , but I realized that the notes sounds so thick like overtones if I go beyond, say, the 8th fret. I tried moving my slapping hand a bit back so I slapped about an inch or two before the fretboard (over the the pickguard). This gave the high notes a clearer slap tone... So what I do now is whenever I go up/down the fretboard I change the position of my playing hand.
    Might be something to look into if you've had trouble with it..

2. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Yep its amazing the different tones/fx you can get by simply changing the position of your slapping/plucking hand...a kinda neat effect you can get is if you slap the note exactly 12 frets above ie fret a c note on the A string then slap the C 12 notes higher on the same get an "interesting " chorusy effect sort of like the note with the harmonic played at the same time.
  3. Well, sometimes I play my electric like an upright just leaving it in the stand. When I slap up around the 7th fret it sounds a lot fuller, but not as punchy. Plus, it's not as easy to move your fretting hand around with that darn neck stabilizer thingamajigdillyabadooba.
  4. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    I've started doing this recently and I reckon it sounds really thick and it!! Check out some of the old skool stuart zender (ex jamiroquai) tracks for this, also I think Victor Wooten and Stanley Clarke use this too.

5. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I like slapping from different places too. I suggest you roll of the highs and increase the lows and crank the volume trough the roof. Then slap, strum and drum your bass from the 9th fret. It creates this boomy, tribal feel than can really make some parts flow. I also like to slap about an inch from the bridge. Really percussive, although you really have use some force, otherwise it'll sound just dull.