Slapping w/fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheJazzBassist, Jun 11, 2002.

1. My friend Mike's dad is an awesome bassist and he showed me a slap technique he uses. He doesn't slap with his thumb at all, he uses the other fingers. Kinda like spanking the strings. I can kinda do it to add a slap/muting sound which is real cool.
    Anyways, does anyone else know of this technique? Is it pretty common and I just missed it? Thanks guys.

2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    our very own bassmonkeee has this really funky finger slap technique _down_. i really don't know how to explain it...i've seen him do it, but, heck, i still can't do it. really neat if you're talking about the same thing...finger slap triplet thingamabobs :D
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    1000 posts!!! yeah, baby ;)
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    John Entwistle plays this way.

Alex Sklarevsky demonstrates a similar technique on his slapping videotape.
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    mmmmmm....that may or may not be what he is talking about. i've seen the video, and i'm pretty sure that you are referring to the part where he's playing 5's (quintuplets?). neat technique, that is. i got that vid ten years ago, and i still can't do that properly, at least on anything other than the lowest string. :-( that thing that bassmonkeee does is nothing like that, though.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I was about to post the same thing :D

A friend of mine has a very cool technique like that too, very fast and it works really well in a metal/thrash setting.