Slapping with a neck pickup cover?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Emprov, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Thinking about putting a neck pickup cover on one of my J's and I'm wondering how it'll affect my slapping. It seems like it'll give me a few more options for fingerstyle but I'm worried that it'll push my hand too far forward on the body or put it too high relative to the strings. I know, I know, Marcus Miller seems to get along ok with one but I ain't no MM. Anyone make the switch? Any thoughts?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How will it give you more options for fingerstyle? I cant imagine itd be comfortable to plant your thumb anywhere on that thing.
  3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I thought this too, until I played a MM jazz. I was plesently suprised to see how it could help. I doubt I could do one, but it's pretty cool non the les.
  4. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I normally play right over the bridge pup and I rest my hand on either the E string or the pup, depending on which string I'm playing. IMO playing above the neck pup results in a loss of too much def and makes too boomy of a sound to my ears. I think that the sweet spot a bit forward of the neck pup but it's not a natural playing postition. The cover would allow me to play fingerstyle pretty much anywhere I wanted.
  5. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Bump. Nobody?
  6. I remember reading an interview with Will Lee where he talked about using the neck pickup cover as a pivot for his right hand while slapping. I'm not a slapper, but it seems like it would help.
  7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    It depends on how large your hands are. My hands are on the larger size so it changes my position to slap with a bell cover on.

I prefer it off to play but love the look with it on.
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You can rest the bottom edge of your right hand on the cover and still slap pretty comfortably. There is also enough room between the edge of the pickup cover and the end of the fretboard that you can comfortably slap without touching it. If you normally slap right over the neck pickup, this will be a problem, though I always slapped right near the end of the fingerboard anyway. There's room to do both!

When I installed a cover on my SX, I didn't center the cover over the pickup, but rather moved the cover closer to the fretboard so I could get a deeper fingerstyle tone as opposed to being stuck on the normal sides of the cover. I still have plenty of room to slap in front of it.